Will Russia Support India in case of WAR with China ???

Discussion in 'International Politics' started by Raj Jain, Apr 30, 2014.

?

Will Russia support India in case of war with china ??

1. yes

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. No

100.0%
  3. yes but russia shouldnt support

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Raj Jain

Raj Jain Dead Soul

Russia is our best friend , I m just a indian citizien wish to know what russian thinks about india .....I m fan russian technology and everything ...plz share u r perspective Will Russia support india in case of war with china ????? recently i have read across the web redefining relations of Russia and china so thats why asking ??
  2. Carlo

Carlo Ship Secretary (11th class)

I am not Russian, and I don't know if there is any around here (there used to be a Brit living in Russia for more than 2 decades, though). I think what Russia is already doing is trying to improve relations between China and India, as an alliance between these 3 countries would have a huge weight in global affairs. I know China and India will never be true allies, there are many conflicting points between them, but they can have quite normal relations. The fact that India is participating in a joint naval exercise with China and even Pakistan is good news:
    http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/...with-Pakistan-others/articleshow/34018085.cms
  3. Carlo

Carlo Ship Secretary (11th class)

I didn't vote because there is no option for what I think. A war between China and India would be a strategic disaster for Russia, and I don't know how they would react.
  4. john smith

john smith Collegiate Registrar (14th class)

Russia has more financial and economic interests with India but it would not support India in war with China as it would harm Russian interests in both countries went to war.

Most likely Russia would serve as the main country to act as the force pushing for a peaceful compromise.
  5. José Moreira

José Moreira High Commissar Staff Member

Yes, if by support you mean continuing to sell military hardware and perhaps supporting India in the Security Council. But this scenario would be a nightmare and would greatly weaken Russia even without direct intervention.

There is no way Russia would step in militarily since the two countries are not bound by any mutual defence treaty. India pursues a policy of multiple partnerships, working also with the USA and Europe. This is perhaps a good policy for India, but it means that the defence connection to Russia is not as strong as it once was.

In the end the best policy for India still is to be self-reliant militarily as much as possible. Given that is has nuclear weapons it unlikely that it will be seriously attacked, at least to the point where it would need outside help. I don't know India very well, but it seems to me that India's problem regarding Chinese threat is not so much military weakness, but the weakness of its political leadership and political system.