What? Where? When?

Discussion in 'Russian Culture' started by gbordakov, Aug 10, 2013.

1. gbordakov

gbordakov Office Registrar (13th class)

One of distinct facets of modern Russian culture for me is What? Where? When? game http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/What?_Where?_When?
    In addition of its well advertised feature of valuing logic over erudition (I would say inventiveness over erudition), it is important to point out that it is a team game. And it is the game where team intellectual performance drastically exceeds one of the best individual in the team.
    Being a member of one of these 17000 teams mentioned in the Wikipedia article I was always curious is there any popular non Russian equivalent of the game? Couple of years ago I heard rumors of the game equivalent organized on US TV. To my sad surprise I have recently learned that this equivalent was organized under name "Million Dollar Mind Game" and it has already already been cancelled.
    I watched a little bit of it on YouTube And I say that the questions were decent and show was good. Why was it cancelled? Additionally is there anything similar to non TV "sport" What? Where? When? existing outside Russian language cultural sphere?
  2. Philip Owen

Philip Owen Office Registrar (13th class)

In the 1950's and early 1960's, a game show called Animal, Vegetable, Mineral was popular on British television. At that time the audience was wealthy and educated. In these democratic times, such elitist programmes are not politically correct. There has to be an element of luck involved. University Challenge is a long surviving relic of an earlier time, that, because of its structure, has a built in audience of people who attended the Universities involved.