The SYRIAN WAR Thread

Discussion in 'International Politics' started by AKarlin, May 6, 2013.

1. Russian Truth

Russian Truth Office Registrar (13th class)

RT has a very nice live update page: http://rt.com/news/syria-crisis-live-updates-047/

What so many don't understand is that most of the "rebels" are not even Syrian. Different dialects. Some even speak Russian and pure English. Many are from Libya. I would be willing to bet that this was in the works for years. I would also bet you that the CIA has been training and funding the radicals since this thing began. Entire parts of Jordan are for training rebel groups. Jordan is basically one big U.S. base for covert operations. There is a reason why so many people call Al Qaeda simply Al-CIA-Duh.

Video of an American. Was legit. U.S. supposedly picked him up and he is supposed to be in detention or something in America. Who knows.

Russian video of one such training ground. I promise you that there are MANY more of these littered around Jordan. There are even some that look like stereotypical Russian/Ukrainian villages.

Benghazi was all about Syria. That is why it was so hush-hush. That has been out there since it happened. Of course, Western corporate media is afraid to touch it. Well, at least most of the time...
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=lXwMRJnOMco#t=212
  2. MarkPavelovich

MarkPavelovich Commissar

The commander of the Free Syrian Army is Abdelhakim Belhaj, the Libyan warlord who emerged to prominence in the fabricated rebellion against Gaddafi, and who was made Military Governor of Tripoli for his part in the rebellion once Gaddafi was dead. Most of the FSA is comprised of foreign mercenaries, and the biggest opposition group is the al-Nusra Front, which is a fancy name for al Qaeda in Syria. They are a known terrorist organization, and supposedly the biggest reason the west is reluctant to simply start dropping in heavy weapons to the rebels - the risk they will fall into the wrong hands. However, I would bet privately their coyness is due more to doubt they could successfully overthrow Assad, whereas some of the weaponry would likely be captured by government forces and exhibited.

The arrangement of the dominoes has been planned since at least 2007, when Seymour Hersh revealed the plan in "The Redirection", in the New Yorker.

http://www.newyorker.com/reporting/2007/03/05/070305fa_fact_hersh
  3. Patrick Armstrong

Patrick Armstrong Commissar

And vice versa -- East Germany Hungary Czechoslovakia Afghanistan et al. The problem with nukes is that there simply never is a situation that justifies using them.
  4. AKarlin

AKarlin Generalissimo Staff Member

Must-read (hurry up as will only remain unlocked 21 hours as of time of writing):

Little Kerry and the Three Bad Options via War Nerd:

Only thing I'm not sure of is @TheWarNerd's contention that SAA gets "weaker every day." Not what this article argues, which explains that the SAA has become a smaller but far leaner and meaner force compared to its pre-revolt state.

Unless things have cardinally changed between June and August.
    Last edited: Sep 1, 2013
  5. MarkPavelovich

MarkPavelovich Commissar

Yes, I was just going to say, what the hell is he talking about? Ken McAuley just pointed out many analysts say the Syrian government is not even using its whole army to put down the "rebels", but is holding units in reserve, rested and fresh, to meet any foreign intervention. That and SCUDs being fired at apartment blocks. Maybe he wrote it from inside a giant bong. But whatever the case, he's right that the USA has sort of trapped itself into doing something, and if it does nothing people will point and laugh.
  6. Patrick Armstrong

7. Patrick Armstrong

Photo of the day/decade
    [​IMG]
    Carlo likes this.
  8. Patrick Armstrong

Alexander Mercouris likes this.
  9. Alexander Mercouris

Alexander Mercouris Ship Secretary (11th class)

I agree. If it becomes widely known that the military are dead set against this latest attack then the chances of it happening will decrease even further.

Meanwhile here in Britain one might say that Hell hath no Fury like a liberal interventionist scorned. A whole gaggle of the usual suspects: Paddy Ashdown, Malcolm Rifkind, Ben Bradshaw, the Economist, the leader writer of The Times and various journalists especially those writing for the Daily Telegraph etc, have been complaining bitterly ever since the vote last Thursday that they have never felt more "ashamed" of Britain and have been demanding another vote to reverse the result of the previous one. The government at the moment is resisting these calls no doubt mindful of the fact that public opposition to British involvement in this attack is actually continuing to grow (it currently stands at around 70%) and that with most Conservative MPs unhappy at the idea (a report says that only around 20 Conservative backbench MPs fully support an attack) and with Labour still opposed the government would risk a further defeat if it called another vote. Most of the liberal intervention ire is being directed at Ed Miliband, the leader of the Labour Party, who is being called a hypocrite and an opportunist because he didn't blindly support the government despite most people in his own party and in the country being opposed to the attack. I don't suppose Ed Miliband will be too worried. As a result of the stand he has taken his rating have actually increased.

An amusing touch is that during a private row between Cameron and Miliband before the vote, Cameron apparently accused Miliband of siding with Lavrov against America.
  10. Alexander Mercouris

The French government is the latest to release its intelligence assessment.

http://www.gouvernement.fr/sites/de...e_de_renseignement_declassifie_02_09_2013.pdf

Essentially, what it says is

(1) the Syrian government has chemical weapons;
    (2) the Syrian government is known to have used chemical weapons previously in April;
    (3) the rebels lack the capability to carry out the kind of chemical weapons attack that happened in Damascus on 21st August 2013;
    (4) therefore the attack on 21st August 2013 must have been the work of the Syrian government.

This is a chain of inference not evidence. In fact I would go further and say that this is a case of piling one non sequitur upon another with the danger that the whole structure falls apart if any part of the chain is broken. That is by no means impossible. We know for example that there is fierce controversy about who actually was responsible for the chemical attack in April. Moreover there is circumstantial evidence that the Syrian rebels do have chemical weapons and have used them. Moreover as Yalensis on Kremlin Stooge has correctly pointed out, if amateur terrorists were able to launch a sarin attack on the Tokyo suburb that suggests that the capability for carrying out the sort of attack we saw near Damascus is not beyond that of a well armed rebel movement that gets help from countries like Saudi Arabia.

Let me say it again, I do not know what happened near Damascus on 21st August 2013. However it seems to me that the problem western governments (including I suspect some people within their intelligence services) do not understand is that after the repeated intelligence failures of recent years eg. the genocide in Kosovo that never happened, the weapons of mass destruction in Iraq which never existed, the Russian "aggression" on Georgia which turned out to be a Georgian attack, the massacres in Libya which never took place and the Iranian nuclear bomb which is always some years in the future, in the absence of concrete evidence no one trusts these "intelligence assessments" any more.

What needs to happen in this case is for there to be an impartial, independent investigation of what actually took place by the UN inspectors Syria has allowed into the country and who are therefore in a position to do this on the spot. Their remit should be extended to allow such an investigation. China today said it supported such an investigation and I have no doubt Russia does too. In the absence of such an investigation all these "intelligence assessments" convince no one (I suspect not even those who want an attack) and are seen essentially as the propaganda that they are.
  11. Patrick Armstrong

12. MarkPavelovich

MarkPavelovich Commissar

'BBC "accidentally" uses photo to illustrate the "gas attack" that
    1. was from Iraq and
    2 from ten years ago.

Ah well, accidents do happen. But always in the same direction. (As I was saying on another thread, it's not just Russia that gets these kinds of "accidents")'

That was actually used by the Beeb to substantiate the "Houla Massacre", which was also blamed on the Syrian "regime". It took place in May of 2012, and was also almost certainly perpetrated by the fake rebels as well. They would have a lot to answer for if you could just elbow your way past the western crowds trying to pin medals on them.
  13. Moscow Exile

Moscow Exile Ship Secretary (11th class)

NEWSFLASH!

RT REPORTS ROCKET LAUNCH DETECTED IN MED.

Get ready to kiss your arses goodbye folks!
    Last edited: Sep 3, 2013
  14. Moscow Exile

15. AKarlin

AKarlin Generalissimo Staff Member

[​IMG]Reuters India‏@ReutersIndia
    Russian embassy in Syria says no sign of missile attack or explosions in Damascus after ballistic launches detected - Itar-Tass

--> Probably a false alarm, a test, or a veiled threat. FWIW, Israel says it didn't notice anything out of the ordinary.

Next update:

16. Moscow Exile

17. Alexander Mercouris

It is now confirmed that the ballistic missiles the Russians tracked were Israeli taking part in an exercise.

There was a clue to this in the original Russia report. It specifically referred to "ballistic missiles". That pointed to Israeli submarine launched ballistic missiles rather than US surface launched cruise missiles. The Russians who surely are familiar with US and Israeli capabilities would have known that from the outset.

The Israelis conduct tests of this sort on a fairly routine basis. It is certainly possible that this exercise was in some way linked to the Syrian crisis. However my guess is that it was a normal, routine exercise probably planned well in advance. If so my guess is that the Russians disclosed it as a way of showing to the US and its allies that they are able to track everything that is going on in the area (and can share this information with the Syrians).
  18. Alexander Mercouris

The former British diplomat Craig Murray casts doubt on the famous telephone conversation between the Syrian defence ministry official and the military officer in the chemical unit. He says that a source has told him that the record of the telephone conversation came from Israeli intelligence. He also says that if such a conversation had really taken place and been overheard it would certainly have been picked up by the British GCHQ listening station at Troodos in Cyprus.

http://www.craigmurray.org.uk/archives/2013/08/the-troodos-conundrum/

Obviously I have no knowledge of such things. I would say however that (1) Craig Murray claims to have inside knowledge of Troodos and its capabilities so what he says should not be discounted and (2) that if the Israelis really are faking telephone conversations in order to involve the US in conflicts they are becoming incredibly reckless.
  19. Patrick Armstrong

What makes you think that the Israelis have any interest in Assad being replaced by jihadists?
  20. Alexander Mercouris

The answer is I don't. I'm merely passing on what Craig Murray says. I would say again what I also said, if the Israelis really are faking conversations to involve the US in a war then their behaviour is becoming very reckless. Would the Israelis really deceive the US in such a flagrant way? Wouldn't that be an enormous risk to take even on the assumption that the Israelis really do for whatever reason want to overthrow Assad?