The State of the Russian Eastern Orthodox Faith InRussia

Discussion in 'Russian Society' started by Moscow Exile, Jan 8, 2014.

1. Moscow Exile

Moscow Exile Ship Secretary (11th class)

To start off this thread:

Belated Russian Orthodox Christmas greetings.

С Рождеством Христовым!

Merry Christmas!

According to the Julian calendar used by the ROC, January 7th (yesterday) is Christmas Day.

The Evil One attended the Christmas Vigil at a newly built Orthodox cathedral in Sochi.

See: Рождество Христово

and here:

Orthodox Christians mark Christmas

I must say that I like Orthodox Church services from a purely a historical and cultural perspective. I think the orthodox liturgy is about as close as one can get to how it was done in early Christian times because of the very fact that it is Eastern; although Judea was a protectorate of the Roman Empire, it was still very much part of the Hellenic world, hence the the orthodox service of Byzantium, thence to the Russian Orthodox liturgy of the Third Rome, gives us, I think, a closer link to what they did in ancient times. In fact, that’s what “orthodox” means, the word having arrived in the English tongue through church Latin from the Greek “orthodoxia” (ορθοδοξία): “right opinion/belief”.

It’s the singing that I like best, and the prayers that are chanted out in Church Slavonic.

However, like the proverbial curate’s egg, Russian Orthodox services for me are only good in parts: they are much longer than most Western services are, be they Catholic or Protestant, and it is standing room only. Last night, for example, the Christmas vigil service would have begun at about 11 p.m. and ended about 4 hours later. See:

Russian Orthodox Christmas

I have done it once, in London as a matter of fact, and once was enough!

The Easter vigil is just as bad: I have done that as well, but here in Russia, and again – only once.

Here is what happened on January 6th, 2014, the Eastern Orthodox Church Christmas Eve, on the rooftop of the Cathedral of the Icon of Our Lady of Kazan, Red Square, Moscow:

And not a murmur of this in the Western press so far, and in the Russian press it was only reported long after the event.

It seems that the follower of Mohammed was not arrested.

Interesting to see what the chattering Russian liberasts will make of this – if anything.

Surely he should have been charged with hooliganism at the very least, if only for climbing onto the church roof? And insulting people of faith? – which was, in my opinion, most certainly his intention, just as it would have been if a Russian Orthodox Christian had stood on the roof of a mosque and sung out the Orthodox Creed in Church Slavonic (part of English version follows) :

I believe in one God, the Father Almighty, Maker of heaven and earth, and of all things visible and invisible;

And in one Lord, Jesus Christ, the Son of God, the Only-begotten, Begotten of the Father before all ages, Light of Light, True God of True God, Begotten, not made, of one essence with the Father, by Whom all things were made:

Who for us men and for our salvation came down from heaven, and was incarnate of the Holy Spirit and the Virgin Mary, and was made man...

I should imagine that if a Christian were to do that, he would very likely risk being slaughtered on the spot before any arrest took place.

Here's how one Russian on-line newspaper reported the incident long after it had occurred:

«Аллаху акбар» на православном храме

["Allahu akbar" on the roof of an orthodox church]

Bear in mind, the Muslim cry “God is great!” can hardly be criticized by Christians; after all, it’s the same Abrahamic god that Christians and Muslims and Jews, for that matter, worship.

According to the journalist's opinion - and the above linked article is much more of an opinion piece than a report - because it was the season of goodwill the police just told him to clear off after he had been brought down from the roof.

The journalist then asks why the hell did duma members kick up such a fuss in getting passed a law concerning offending the feelings of believers if this man was not even charged, yet the Screaming Slags got 2 years for the same, and argues that not only have these immigrants been granted privileges - they know it:

When others get 2 years in gaol for dancing in a cathedral sanctuary and this person is just let off Scot-free after desecrating a church, then this person’s people begin to feel that they belong to a privileged caste. In Russia there has grown up a whole generation of excitable youth that has been nurtured on the ideas of Islamic Shariah law and which ignores the secular laws and culture and traditions of the regions in which these people, having left their sunny republics, have arrived and where they then present their true, pure religion, as a a counter to that of the foreign infidel. What have they come here for? I am, of course, talking about brown-skinned persons…

Racism?

Perhaps. But most of the Muslim fanatics from the North Caucasus have a swarthy complexion when compared to that of most ethnic Slavs. However, the vast majority of Muslim Russian citizens, be they swarthy or not, are not Wahabe fanatics that are fixated by Shariah law.

What certainly is not reported in the West is this, namely that thousands of Orthodox Russian citizens have been queuing to venerate the reliquary that allegedly bears the gifts of the Magi and which has been brought for this purpose from the Greek monastery at Mount Athos.

They were still queuing late yesterday (January 7th) evening.

See here and here.

These Дары волхвов – “The Gifts of the Magi” are now being displayed for veneration in the Cathedral of Christ the Redeemer, Moscow, that very same place where those women performed their “gig”, as the UK Guardian was wont to portray their action there, shouting “Shit, shit, shit of Our Lord”, which "artists" later claimed that they had never intended to offend anyone in the cathedral.

It has been estimated that at a minimum 200,000 have already venerated the reliquary and its contents.

And they are still coming.

These are members of the Russian “sheeple”, the “bydlo“, who are kissing that silver, encrusted with precious stones reliquary; these are the fools that should not have the vote according to Latynina, journalist at the Moscow Times and other liberast rags; these are members of the silent majority that are obliged to love and forgive homosexuals as fellow "children of god" but at the same time abhor their parading of their pride (a "mortal sin" in any case) and their cavorting over what Russians Christians are taught is sinful perversity; these are the slow, patient, Russians of faith whom Muslim fanatics burn to death, disembowel and strike asunder in bomb attacks perpetrated by, according to the Western news media, noble “Black Widows"; these are Russians believers that are members of a social class whom the likes of Akunin and Sobchak, Navalny and Udaltsov, Kasparov and Nemtsov (now in Switzerland with his pal Khodorkovsky”) and the Ponomarevs – père et fils – and all the rest of the self-styled, self appointed intelligentsia of artists, liberals and thinking elite openly loathe and ridicule.

I do not profess to being a Christian, by the way, but each to his own, I say, as long as they do not try to kill me for my not being of their faith.

May Woden, the god of my forefathers, forgive me for sending salutations on the birth (alleged) of a Hebrew prophet!

Yuletide greetings!

Waes hail!
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2014
    José Moreira likes this.
  2. José Moreira

José Moreira High Commissar Staff Member

From the Moscow Times:

Cathedral-Climbing Muslim Preacher Sent to Psychiatric Hospital
  3. Moscow Exile

Moscow Exile Ship Secretary (11th class)

So he wasn't even a North Caucasian but an African. In fact, it says this in the above linked article: "Judging by the video - a black-skinned person", but then the author of the article goes on about Muslim caliphates.

The article reads as follows:

No sooner had passions subsided over sensational videos showing a Christmas Lezginka being performed on the country's main square [some North Caucasians had earlier performed their beloved traditional dance on Red Square], which caused some comment, when representatives of the most peaceful religion in the world planted fresh coals on the unquenchable fire of hot interfaith friendship.

On the eve of the Nativity of Christ a young man in a fur hat climbed onto the roof of the Kazan Cathedral of the Mother of God, which, again, is on Red Square. Judging by the video, he was a black man. He began to praise the Lord in a singsong voice: " Allahu Akbar! The black "muezzin" read out verses from the Koran and in broken Russian warned those gathered around the cathedral: "You must listen to this! It's true!" Passers-by shouted at him: "Get down from there!" And priests pealed the bells in order to drown out the African preacher. Finally, a policeman appeared on the roof and with some difficulty led the rowdy man away in some unknown direction . His subsequent fate is unknown, in so far as the city police find it difficult to make a comment about this event in that they have no record of the incident being reported.

The journalist then goes on about Muslim immigrants and a whole generation of youths who have been brought up to respect Sharia law and who have begun to consider themselves as a privileged caste that can spurn the customs and traditions of the country. And now a Muslim African immigrant insults Orthodoxy, says the journalist, wondering why the law against offending believers was passed.

The following update has been added to the article:

MEANWHILE
    According to law enforcement agency sources, onto the city cathedral climbed a 39-year-old native of Guinea, Mamadou Barry Hasim. Once he had been brought down, he was taken in an ambulance to a psychiatric hospital, where doctors diagnosed him as suffering from "acute severe schizophrenia". It became known on Wednesday that the African is married to a Muscovite, with whom he lives in Moscow.
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2014