The Snowden Tug-Of-War

Discussion in 'International Politics' started by MarkPavelovich, Jul 26, 2013.

1. Patrick Armstrong

Patrick Armstrong Commissar

2. Reggie Kabaeva

Reggie Kabaeva Office Registrar (13th class)

I'm willing to wager that a bulk of the 34 percent who see Snowden as a traitor are "liberal" Obama cultists who also want Sochi boycotted over the "anti-gay law that bans homo-sexuality in Russia" --- so they've been told by their media.
  3. Patrick Armstrong

4. john smith

john smith Collegiate Registrar (14th class)

Nobody cares about international law that is really just a talking point especially in regards to Russia what matters is public opinion that Putin's Russia they have granted Snowden asylum out of a vindictive reason because it antagonises Obama and the US and use as an excuse for family members of Chechens accused and killed with links to terrorist attacks in Boston Visa entry to the US and investigating and uncovering US/CIA links to terrorism in Chechnya that Putin along with the west has been actively involved in covering up.
  5. Alexander Mercouris

Alexander Mercouris Ship Secretary (11th class)

Dear John Smith,

I cannot agree with you that international law is unimportant or that no one cares about it. One of the fundamental problems the US faced in Iraq after 2003 was precisely that its invasion of that country was carried out contrary to international law. Far from international law being unimportant it was precisely the lack of legitimacy behind the entire Iraq adventure that in the end guaranteed its failure.

Nor do I agree that "public opinion" thinks that Russia granted Snowden asylum for "vindictive reasons". I appreciate that is what the US administration and some of its Congressional allies on this question say and that this is a view shared by some people especially in the US. However that is by no means the universal view in the US whilst in Russia itself (whose public opinion is the one that for its government ultimately matters) public opinion strongly supported the grant of asylum to Snowden despite most Russians having positive views of the US.
    Carlo likes this.
  6. Patrick Armstrong

Maybe a new thread would be more appropriate for this...

Now we have the story -- based on maybe, must have, could have -- that Snowden was assisted by Russia. Indeed that the whole thing is cooked up by Russia. (the whole thing is rather like Putin's vast wealth -- someone says something and everybody else quotes him and then people quote each other to give the story the appearance of reality and being well-sourced.)
    https://www.google.ca/#q=russia assisted snowden&spell=1

Actually of course ("loving arms of an FSB agent in Moscow") he was on his way to Cuba.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/201...en-may-have-stayed-with-russian-in-hong-kong/

As I often see in the comments, however, these things don't sell well with the audience which remains sceptical. (eg "Stop it, Stop it, quit trying to tie him to the Russians. Stop this cold war BS. It's over. I will not be distracted from the real problems with the US by this government planted story."