THE PUSSY RIOT AFFAIR

Discussion in 'Russian Society' started by Alexander Mercouris, Aug 20, 2013.

1. Philip Owen

Philip Owen Office Registrar (13th class)

It won't be long until the state pension is better in Russia, relative to costs.
  2. Moscow Exile

Moscow Exile Ship Secretary (11th class)

That's right! And mine comes up next year. I still think I can buy here more basic foodstuffs for £1 than I can in the UK. And public transport costs here are very low in comparison with those in the UK.
  3. Moscow Exile

And 5 days after the event, Moscow Times at last reports Tolokonnikova's ending of her hunger strike.

Of course, the story stresses how seriously ill she is.

Somehow I doubt this, not if she followed her husband's advice and ate well before going on her "spontaneous" hunger strike 5 days ago in support of her oppressed fellow prisoners and to right all the wrongs that are endemic in Russia.

See: Supporters Urged to Rally for 'Seriously Ill' Pussy Riot Rocker
    Last edited: Oct 4, 2013
  4. Moscow Exile

Lest we forget, gratis the Grauniad: "Pussy Riot detainee accuses Russian officials of imposing illegal isolation".

“Tolokonnikova, who ended the hunger strike after medical complications… ”

So if the darling of the Western media had not suffered from any medical complications, she would have continued her hunger strike until the ultimate of “medical complications”, namely her death through starvation, had caused the cessation of her final and greatest performance?

Is the Guardian suggesting that she wasn’t fit enough to continue her hunger strike and was persuaded, therefore, to call the whole pantomime off?

What a load of bollocks!

As regards the debauched one’s “illegal isolation”, I should rather think that it is Tolokonnikova’s fellow inmates that are forcing the imposition of isolation on the Guardianistas’ “heroine”; after all, wasn’t it she that claimed her life was in danger because of threats from her inmates?

Or are they all pals again now and she just wants to return to the sewing shop, she who has never done a stroke of work in her whole life?

And Pizda Riot gets another mention in today’s Guardian in this article: “How children’s books thrived under Stalin”.

“At the trial of the three Pussy Riot performers in August 2012, one of the accused, Nadezhda Tolokonnikova, made a closing statement in their defence. She spoke of Pussy Riot’s admiration for those writers and artists who had suffered under Stalin’s purges…”

What would the Grauniad really do if there were no Evil Empire?
    Last edited: Oct 12, 2013
  5. Moscow Exile

Prima Donna announces her intention to go back on hunger strike:

Толоконникова заявила о возобновлении голодовки

Moscow, October 18 - AiF-Moscow: Member of the punk band Pussy Riot, Nadezhda Tolokonnikova, has announced the resumption of her hunger strike in connection with her transfer back to the Mordovia penal colony (IR-14) from the prison hospital (LPU-21).

The ever present Verzilov has given notice that the resumption of his wife's hunger
    strike is a result of the authorities' breach of the terms and conditions that brought about the cessation of the previous attempt of feminist punk-rock musician and freedom fighter and sworn enemy of the Evil One to starve herself to death.

Verzilov says she only stopped starving herself to death when she was promised a transfer to hospital and then to another camp:

"Внезапный ночной перевод Толоконниковой в колонию произошел в нарушение ранее озвученных обещаний представителей центрального аппарата ФСИН России оставить Надежду на лечении или перевезти ее в другой регион. В данный момент Надежда находится в медсанчасти ИК-14, и в связи с обратным переводом туда, согласно озвученному ранее обещанию, возобновляет голодовку", — заявил "Интерфаксу" ее муж Петр Верзилов.

["Tolokonnikova's sudden transference
    during the night to the colony breached earlier agreements made by the central directory of the Russian Penitentiary Service that Nadezhda remain for treatment or be transferred to another region. At present Nadezhda is in the medical unit of Penitentiary Colony-14 and, in connection with her transference back to that place, according to her promise made before, her hunger strike is to be renewed", her husband, Petr Verzilov announced to Interfax.]

So she's going to kill herself again through starvation.
    Or so she says.

All this talk of promises! According to earlier reports, including the spoutings of Pedo Pete, she ended her previous strike because of health problems.

So I guess that when she feels ill and weak again after about 4 or 5 days, it'll be back to hospital again.

Better than working, I suppose.

The more the exhibitionist undertakes such tantrums, the more foolish she looks, which, I must say, is not really too difficult an undertaking on her part.
    Last edited: Oct 18, 2013
  6. Alexander Mercouris

Alexander Mercouris Ship Secretary (11th class)

As I understand it she is being transferred to another prison so on that basis this particular hunger strike will presumably be called off. I have heard by the way that Alyokhina has withdrawn her latest legal challenge.

Tolokonnikova is 6-7 months away from the end of her sentence so she should be out of prison before long. I wonder how she will adjust to a life of freedom. Presumably the Voina/Pussy Riot days will be over at least in their pre 2012 form so she'll have to find something else to do. I'll be curious to see what happens to her and what she does.
  7. Moscow Exile

Alyokhina was about to make yet another appeal at Nizhny Novgorod, near to which city she is now imprisoned, in order that her prison "regime" be made easier. At the last minute, though, she cancelled her appeal, saying that she had done so out of sympathy for her colleague Tolokonnikova, who. like her, is a mother, but is now in hospital as a result of her hunger strike. Alyokhina felt that she should not have the strictness of her prison regime lessened whilst her colleague was suffering so.

Alyokhina demands that she be treated less severely in prison, though she refuses to confess that she and her "punk rock band" colleagues did anything wrong in the Christ the Saviour Cathedral: she and Tolokonnikova were just expressing their opposition to the Putin "regime" when they started kicking their legs into the air on the cathedral ambos whilst screeching out, amongst other things, "Shit of Our Lord!"

But they didn't mean to offend anybody present in the cathedral.
  8. Moscow Exile

Yes, according to Interfax, she's going to be moved: Толоконникова переезжает

"Nadezhda Tolokonnikova is being transferred to another colony - previously she had resumed her hunger strike because her demands had not been met. Maria Alyokhina, serving a sentence in Nizhny Novgorod, has withdrawn a request for a lighter sentence as a sign of solidarity with her friend."

What interests me is this: Tolokonnikova had previously presented her starvation performance as a protest against the inhumane and exploitative conditions that women prisoners were suffering in the Mordovian colony where she was incarcerated. Now, having been satisfied that her "conditions" for ceasing her hunger-strike protest have been met by the authorities, namely that she is being transferred out of Mordovia, the heroine punk-rock artist freedom fighter is waving farewell to her former fellow convicts in Mordovia - but have their sufferings that she described as existing in Penal Colony-14 been alleviated as a result of her posturing?

I think not.

Is she bothered?

Hardly.

She's got what she wanted: a transfer and an easier "regime".

And huge publicity.

Khasis, her former fellow convict at PC-14 has once again criticised Tolokonnikova and her PR stunt, saying that hardly any other prisoners supported the brave freedom fighter in her actions, adding that her actions have made conditions worse for the prisoners.

See: Надежду Толоконникову перевели из больницы обратно в колонию

Tolokonnikova will soon be out and enjoy the adulation of the "free world" and be applauded across Western Europe and the USA. She will very likely enjoy a not inconsiderable financial gain during her coming "World Tour". However, I should imagine that even she is not so stupid as to comply to a request to "perform" a "gig" with her "punk-rock band".
    Last edited: Oct 18, 2013
  9. Moscow Exile

The prima donna's lawyer has now started throwing shit at her client's former defence lawyers:

Защита Толоконниковой попросит лишить статуса экс-адвокатов Pussy Riot

[Tolokonnikova's defence lawyer asks that the former Pussy Riot advocates be debarred from practising as lawyers]

"According to the convict herself, Violetta Volkova, who formerly had represented Tolokonnikova's interests, had tried to come to an agreement with Tolokonnikova and had urged her not to stir up trouble concerning a transfer to another colony. According to Pussy Riot members, the lawyer had proposed that the "problem concerning a transfer be solved quietly by means of her using her personal connections with important people in the Federal Penitentiary Service."

The three former Pussy Riot defence lawyers are Violetta Volkova, Mark Feigin and Nikolai Polozov.

The article states further that in October PR member Ekaterina Samutsevich filed several complaints against lawyers Feigin, Polozov and Volkova. According to Samutsevich's present lawyers, whilst defending PR, Feigin, Polozov and Volkova had breached professional ethics and the privileges of an attorney-client relationship.

Samutsevich claims that those three aforementioned PR defence lawyers had, without her permission, published a letter of hers and had not acted in her best interests; they had also, according to Samutsevich, spread defamatory information in the media about her.

Samutsevich also demands that Volkova be debarred from practising law and has claimed 2.5 million rubles off her in compensation for the moral damage that she has suffered.

[​IMG]
    Drivel !

:p
    Last edited: Oct 19, 2013
  10. Moscow Exile

Here’s what happened, yesterday (January 6th, 2014), the Eastern Orthodox Church Christmas Eve, on the rooftop of the Cathedral of the Icon of Our Lady of Kazan, Red Square, Moskva:

And not a murmur of this in the Western press, nor, as far as I can see, in the Russian press either.

I take it the follower of Mohammed was arrested.

Interesting to see what the chattering Russian liberasts will make of this – if anything.

Surely he will be charged with hooliganism at the very least. And insulting people of faith? – which was, in my opinion, most certainly his intention, just as it would have been if a Russian Orthodox Christian stood on the roof of a mosque and sang out the Orthodox Creed in Church Slavonic (part of English version follows) :

I believe in one God, the Father Almighty, Maker of heaven and earth, and of all things visible and invisible;

And in one Lord, Jesus Christ, the Son of God, the Only-begotten, Begotten of the Father before all ages, Light of Light, True God of True God, Begotten, not made, of one essence with the Father, by Whom all things were made:

Who for us men and for our salvation came down from heaven, and was incarnate of the Holy Spirit and the Virgin Mary, and was made man;

And was crucified also for us under Pontius Pilate, and suffered and was buried;

And the third day He rose again, according to the Scriptures;

And ascended into heaven, and sitteth at the right hand of the Father…

He would probably be slaughtered on the spot before any arrest took place.
    AKarlin likes this.