The Other Elections... in Yekaterinburg

Discussion in 'Russian Politics' started by Mark Sleboda, Sep 9, 2013.

1. Mark Sleboda

Mark Sleboda Collegiate Registrar (14th class)

Hey - does someone who has been paying more attention to Yekaterinaburg than me want to fill me in some on Yevgenny Roizman - particularly where does he stand on things like economics, social views, any expression of foreign policy opinion etc. He ran on Prokhorov's neoliberal ticket - which is a big minus for me, but doesn't seem at all the normal neoliberal/liberal and his bio is interesting - not easily categorizeable in the normal Western political model. I can't seem to find a platform page for his campaign online. I want to give the guy a fair hearing before making up my mind. Appreciate any input in advance
  2. AKarlin

AKarlin Generalissimo Staff Member

From (the very little) I've heard of him, he seems to be some kind of populist, blogging, "law and order" type crusader. He runs the organization A City without Drugs.

There are allegations that he kidnaps alleged drug users and brainwashes them, and that he has ties with the criminal underworld. This sounds rather outlandish and I suspect its closer to the political smears that we see a lot in Russian politics than to the truth. It is also claimed that his wife, who is also his campaign manager, was harassed and threatened with imprisonment if Roizman didn't drop his election bid.

That's pretty much it. Oh and he defeated the UR candidate by very narrow margins; 16,000 votes, if I recall correctly.
  3. owenpolley

owenpolley Gubernial Secretary (12th class)

I presume no run-off is required in Yekaterinburg and the winner is simply the candidate with the highest total vote?
  4. Moscow Exile

Moscow Exile Ship Secretary (11th class)

Allegations or not, the fact remains that is a convicted criminal.

There is precious little about him in the English Wiki: in the Russian Wiki entry on Roizman, however, there is included the following:

В 1981 году был осуждён за кражу (ст. 144 часть 2 УК РСФСР), мошенничество (147 часть 3 УК РСФСР) и незаконное ношение холодного оружия (218 часть 2 УК РСФСР). Первоначальный срок был условным, однако затем приговор был пересмотрен, Ройзман был водворён в места лишения свободы и освобождён в ноябре 1983 года. В 1984 году судимость была снята.

[In 1981 he was convicted of theft (Article 144, part 2 of the Criminal Code of the RSFSR), fraud (147, part 3 of the Criminal Code of the RSFSR) and the illegal carrying of knives (218, part 2 of the Criminal Code of the RSFSR). The initial sentence was a suspended one but was later revised. Roizman was put in prison and was released in November 1983. In 1984, the conviction was removed.]

Then there’s this article from the St. Petersburg Times (sister rag to the Moscow Times): “ROIZMAN UNDETERRED DESPITE ELECTION CONTROVERSY”, in which Roizman’s life story is described as having been “tumultuous” and deputy head of the Sverdlovsk gubernatorial administration, Vadim Dubichev, is reported as having said by 'phone prior to the Ekaterinburg election:

We have come back to the same intersection that we found ourselves at a decade ago when the leader of the Uralmash gang could have become mayor.”

Dubichev did not refer to Roizman by name, but the St. Petersburg Times then reported him as saying:

People in the Urals know what I am talking about…

adding that Dubichev was:

apparently referring to reports that the Uralmash gang — the most powerful crime syndicate in Yekaterinburg — helped Roizman in his earlier anti-drug activities by beating and brutalizing drug dealers”.

According to Wiki:

"During the 1990s, the Uralmash was also involved in a vigilante group, City Without Drugs, which targeted both drug dealers and users in an attempt to rid the city of the heroin trade. Dealers were beaten and brutalised, often publicly to send a message to others, while addicts were chained to radiators and forced to go cold turkey. This action may have been a part of a public relations campaign to legitimise the group. The Uralmash also organised fashion shows to raise money for the city's children."

The St. Petersburg article then closes with:

“‘Konstantin Kiselev, a political scientist and member of Roizman’s team, echoed Dubischev’s warning about criminals in power — but in his scenario, Roizman was the good guy.

‘There is a fight between the corrupt criminals in power, and Roizman is the personification of something new, clean and honest’,” he said
    .”