The NAVALNY Thread

Discussion in 'Russian Politics' started by José Moreira, Jul 19, 2013.

1. Alexander Mercouris

Alexander Mercouris Ship Secretary (11th class)

I totally agree. Not only are such smears wrong ethically but they are stupid politically. It means that when Navalny does something for which he genuinely deserves criticism people play little attention because they assume it is simply another smear. Moreover attacking Navalny in this way simply reinforces the doubtless correct impression that those who are behind the attack are afraid of him, which actually enhances his appeal.
  2. Moscow Exile

Moscow Exile Ship Secretary (11th class)

According to this report, Team Navalny, including the “statuesque” Navalnaya, is already packing its suitcases and getting ready to make a run for the border.

Volkov says that even if the Chosen One wins, he’s getting out.

What’s that?

Volkov does not believe that the Messiah will be able to create a new Jerusalem out of Moscow and, when Navalny becomes president – for surely Moscow is but a mere stepping stone to the presidency – as he most certainly will if the powers that be far across the oceans have their way, he will not be able to transform the Evil Empire into a land flowing with milk and honey?
  3. Moscow Exile

Team Navalny's street party last night before the 2-day shut down on publicity before Sunday's election.

Granted, it's been pissing it down here all week and last night was no exception, but for someone who is supposed to be going to get 20% of the vote, the turn-out was pathetic.
  4. AKarlin

AKarlin Generalissimo Staff Member

Far it from me to be a starry-eyed believer in Navalny, but I really don't see how this can be seen as "pathetic" by any stretch of the imagination.

There's a good few thousand people there, and with the night being rain-soaked too. Until recently it was virtually unimaginable for any liberal getting a fraction of that turnout. Unless I'm missing something...
  5. MarkPavelovich

MarkPavelovich Commissar

How many votes would he need to break 5% of the Moscow electorate? According to surveys, about 250,000. That looks like about 6000 people to me, which is what some blogger said showed up, certainly less than 10,000. But there's always the possibility of a surprise. However, Navalny has already said if Sobyanin wins - as he is expected to do - "we will not be silent". So I would extrapolate from that that Team Navalny has its "We were robbed" theme all ready to go.
  6. Moscow Exile

It's pathetic when one considers that it is claimed there is as high as 20% plus support for Navalny in Moscow.

It is also pathetic when Team Navalny and Moscow town hall planned for there being up to 25,000 there, which was the limit set by Moscow city authorities on the size of the September 6th rally.

It is pathetic because many members of that same Team Navalny are getting ready to leave Russia after the election.

It is pathetic because, "Izvtstia" (remember, that's the newspaper that the Chosen One has said he'll shut down when he becomes president) claims: "Как считают эксперты, на концерт к Навальному придет в основном молодежь от 14 до 25 лет, соответственно часть из них — не голосует". [According to experts, to the Navalny concert will mostly come young people between 14 and 25 years, part of whom, therefore being unable to vote.] Team Navalny alluded to the fact that those that attend the Chosen One's concert rally on September 6th might not necessarily be either willing or able to vote for him, in that in a pre-rally leaflet that was distributed there was written:

Dear friends,

On the evening of September 6 there will take place on Prospekt Sakharov a grand concert, an election rally in support of Alexei Navalny, candidate for mayor of Moscow.

At the concert, the group "Motorama" will be performing, as well as "Accident", "Liapis Troubetzkoy", Zakhar Ma, Vasya Oblomov, Vladi from the group "Caste" together with other performers. The concert compère will be Leonid Parfenov. But, the main event of the evening will be, of course, Alexei Navalny's election speech.

Entry to the rally will be organized at Kalanchevskaia Street and will begin after 17:00. The bands will start their performances at 17.30, and the main business of the event will take place after 19.00. Alexei Navalny will begin speaking at around 20.30. So what can you do so as to arrange your evening as regards your free time and work commitments and interest in modern and interesting music? In any case - come and meet other Alexei Navalny supporters, the campaign staff volunteers and employees, and just ordinary Moscow voters. Do not forget to bring warm clothes and protection against the rain: alas, up to now the weather forecast does not look too favourable, but this won't put you off, will it? And most importantly, every one of you there will certainly have a relative or friend who consider themselves "apolitical", who "don't trust anyone" and who think that "politics are not for them". That's why you just have to go and bring them to our rally and concert. Think of the joy of recognizing your own kind, of the awesome feeling of being among like-minded people that each of you once first experienced: it might have been at one of the first rallies in the winter of 2011/12; it may have been when volunteer training at the Navalny headquarters, or during street protests. "I am surrounded by amazing people!" was a refrain sounded and reported many times at those rallies, and again and more and more this summer.

Do not deprive your doubting friends of that same joy! Bring them with you to our pre-election concert to see the faces of those people who support Alexey Navalny. This is the best and most powerful propaganda of all.

See you on Friday at Prospekt Sakharov!

An finally, it is pathetic because those people assembled in the pouring rain at Prospekt Sakharov to show their support and their intention to cast their vote for a foreign agent and charlatan, who just might be the person talking in this recording taken recently at a Russian bath house:

(Secret video taken by security at a Moscow bath house)
    Last edited: Sep 8, 2013
  7. Russian Truth

Russian Truth Office Registrar (13th class)

I am sure everyone knows this, but you can watch live video from the different voting sites. http://vybory.mos.ru/#

http://www.ridus.ru/news/106099/ - The numbers "14" and "88" for Navalny! - http://vybory.mos.ru/#precinct/12712 - THE LIVE FEED!

Vera Kichanova is here (I think) - http://vybory.mos.ru/#precinct/8094
    My friend is hoping that this proof will get her another free U.S. trip - http://instagram.com/p/d_NCw_gOmu/#
    Vera even dragged her father along. http://instagram.com/p/d_MwnVgOmV/#

Honestly, those stations are empty. Mostly over 60 years of age types are voting.
    So
  8. AKarlin

AKarlin Generalissimo Staff Member

Elderly people wake up earlier, and are typically the first to vote.
  9. Moscow Exile

My wife's going to vote now. She says she's going to vote for Levichev, the "Just Russia" candidate. She says she likes the social policies that his party promotes, especially for pensioners and children.

I don't like that translation that is usually given for СПРАВЕДЛИВАЯ РОССИЯ. It sounds to English speakers like a nationalist party, I think; namely "just" meaning "only and nothing else". I Think "A Fair Russia" would sound more better as an English translation.

I can't vote, of course. I think that's the only thing that I, as a permanently resident foreign national, am not allowed to do here.
    Last edited: Sep 8, 2013
  10. Joshua

Joshua Collegiate Registrar (14th class)

what is Just Russia Policies on children and pensioners? Is it more maternity leave benefits?
  11. Moscow Exile

Here's a policy statement off Levichev: "Как построить Город Справедливости" ["How To Build A City Of Fairness" - a machine translator will give you for "город справедливости" - "just city", but as I wrote above, I prefer in this context "fair"], though there is no mention of children and pensioners in it.

One of his pensioner policies is stated here: "Эсеры" предлагают разрешить пенсионерам-должникам поездки за границу ["SRs" (members of "Spravedlivaya Rossiya" - "A Just Russia") propose allowing pensioner-debtors foreign travel]. Levichev has proposed in the State Duma changes in legislation to allow pensioners who are in debt to travel abroad, something that they are at present forbidden to do. Levichev argues that pensioners are hardly likely to pay off their debts in any case and often have relatives abroad who can support them.

Here's Levichev's campaign programme for Moscow in which, on page 12, is stated his policy as regards children: Москва молодая. Город, безопасный для наших детей [Young Moscow - a safe city for our children].
  12. Moscow Exile

Piling it on thick and fast, Nina Khrushcheva, the well-known Russo-American Russian hater, asks of Moscow Times readers, whoever they might be:

"Can Navalny Save Russia?"

Not while he's doing porridge he can't.
  13. Moscow Exile

Алексей Навальный: «Возможно, однажды я позову вас на несанкционированные акции - переворачивать машины и жечь фаеры»

[Alexei Navalny: "I may call upon you one day to take unauthorized action, overturn cars and light fires."]

Navalny's Bolotnaya Bash, where he declared victory out defeat and told his hamsters to be ready for his call to overturn cars, light fires and, in general run, run riot:

[​IMG]

The nation trembles!

For more pictures of the seething hamsters with their "Führer", as they are wont to label him in the Russian blogosphere, see:

На Болотной площади прошел митинг в поддержку проигравшего кандидата в мэры столицы

[On Bolotnaya Square a rally took place in support in support of the failed candidate for the post of Moscow mayor]

It wasn't on Bolotnaya Square, as a matter of fact: it was on the Bolotnaya Embankment of the old canal. The square and fountain is to the left of the picture, then there can be seen top left the white mansion that formerly housed the British Embassy, and then, across the Moscow River, the surface of which not being visible, the the south wall of the Kremlin and the bell tower of Ivan the Great.
    Last edited: Sep 10, 2013
  14. Moscow Exile

Phase 3 begins:

Суд в Кирове отклонил ходатайство защиты Навального и Офицерова

Kirov Court rejects Navalny and Ofitserov defense motion

The Kirov Leninsky court today rejected a defence motion as regards Alexei Navalny and Peter Ofitserov, who were convicted in the the "Kirovles" case. The petition for an extension of time until October 1 in order to enable familiarization with the trial records was put forward by Ofitserov's counsel .

Lawyer Olga Mikhailova told Interfax that the defence had three days to file comments concerning the trial records. She pointed out that the defence had a lot of comments concerning the records. According to Mikhailova, the trial records did not match what was said on the audio-recordings that had been presented in court.

Earlier, the court had extended from 2 to 6 September the period of time for Navalny's defence team to familiarize itself with the the court records

On July 18 the Kirov court sentenced Navalny to five years in prison for stealing from "Kirovles"; Offitserov was sentenced to four years. Both were taken into custody, but were released the next day on bail until the sentence comes into force.
  15. Moscow Exile

From the Типичный Либераст За Навального ✔ (A typical Liberast for Navalny) blog, which, I suspect, is a spoof :

[​IMG]

For how long will Putin be thieving off the people?

The car is a Chevrolet Camaro:

[​IMG]

A snip at $30,000.

16. Moscow Exile

The Chosen One who was not chosen has announced that he is going to become leader of the party "The People's Alliance".

See: Навальный решил возглавить партию

Navalny has decided to become party leader

Opposition leader Alexei Navalny declared his readiness to lead the party "People's Alliance", which was set up by his supporters. He stated this in a Sept. 15 interview on the radio station"Moscow Echo".

"I have no doubts about joining the party, and if they choose me, I shall lead the 'People's Alliance'. I reckon this is the party that I am closest to", said the politician...

At the September 10th Bolotnaya rally, Navalny wound up his speech to the assembled hamsters like a true leader - of a religious sect, reports Lenta.ru:

- Are we ready to plough on until we win?

- Yes!

- Do you believe in each other?

- Yes!

- Do you believe in me?

- Yes!

- Who has the power?

- We have!

- I love you very much and I am grateful to all of you. Let the toad on the pipeline be shaking and scared!

Navalny is fond of his toad on the pipeline simile: a long while ago he compared Putin to a toad sitting on a valve on an oil-line and which refused to budge and puffed itself up in order to frighten off anyone who approached the valve. In this way he suggests that Navalny is draining Russia of its oil wealth for his own gain, refusing to let others manage this natural resource for the benefit of the rest of society - sort of like Khodorkovsky did, I suppose.
    Last edited: Sep 16, 2013
  17. MarkPavelovich

MarkPavelovich Commissar

Maybe it will catch on, like his famous, legendary, still-on-everybody's-lips "the party of crooks and thieves". Well, okay; it was popular in the English-speaking press, which spared no effort to make it popular and hip and catchy.

In preparation for another great success in branding, perhaps we should begin looking for similes which will borrow from the great speechmaker, he of the golden tongue. Let's see...how about "Great dinner, Marjorie - those potato croquettes were delicious as a toad on a pipeline". No, no; that doesn't quite fit. How about, "My new car is as fast as a toad on a pipeline"? Mmm...yeah, you're right.

I suppose if you used it in the same context - political cronyism and corruption - it could work. "Mayor Wiggins is stealing from the maintenance budget; that man is like a toad on a pipeline". I don't know about you, but I'm just not feeling it.

I'm sure Navalny would love to open up the Russian oil industry to the big majors - majority shareholders? No problem. Because everybody knows how generous the big oil companies are with their money once they get control of something.
  18. Moscow Exile

19. Moscow Exile

Navalny’s Hamsters are now getting ready to push their luck a little too far, I think.

Word has gone out for them to get ready for unsanctioned protests if their hero gets sent down at Kirov, according to this MK report: “Сторонники Навального готовят акции на случай его ареста”. (Navalny Supporters Get Ready For Taking Action If He Is Arrested”.

Part Translation:

Travel to Kirov if you want to, or stay and get ready in Moscow.

Supporters of Alexei Navalny could take part in a rally in Moscow on Wednesday, October 16, if the Kirov regional court makes an unfavorable decision concerning the politician. In any case, Nikolai Lyaskin, the head of the Moscow branch of the unregistered party “People’s Alliance”, which up to now still supports Navalny, told MK that he does not exclude himself from such a scenario.

According to Lyaskin, on Tuesday evening some activists are going to travel to Kirov on board the train “Vyatka” together with Navalny in order to support their leader at his appeal concerning the scandalous “Kirovles” trial. However, this “support group” excursion is not considered a priority, the “alliancites” believing that being in Moscow on that day is more important.

“I told activists: ‘Travel to Kirov if you want to, or stay and get ready in Moscow’”, said Lyaskin. “It is absolutely unclear what will happen. The case may last for fifteen minutes or be delayed for a fortnight; there may be further investigation, or there may be a decision made on that day. It is clear that everything will be decided in Moscow, and the events of July showed that only in Moscow will the authorities listen to anything. So I do not rule out protests if events turn out badly.”

End

So there you have it. Not satisfied with their waste-of-space “leader” being allowed the opportunity to contest the mayoral seat in the capital, thanks to the “magnanimity” of United Russia, and despite the fact that nowhere in Moscow did Navalny achieve more than 50% of the vote cast by a mere fraction (32%) of the electorate, his infringement of election rules in his non-declaration of foreign business interests notwithstanding, the Hamsters are organizing civil unrest in the capital in the not unlikely event that their hero receives a custodial sentence in the very near future.

The Navalny supporting Hamsters are suffering from serious delusions (“It is clear that everything will be decided in Moscow, and the events of July showed that only in Moscow will the authorities listen to anything”) if they believe that their arsing around in downtown Moscow got Navalny released pending appeal: when the shyster Navalny was found guilty at Kirov, it was the prosecution that kindly got the Chosen One off the hook by reminding his incompetent defence team that they could appeal against the verdict. It most certainly was not the disorder that took place in central Moscow after Navalny had been found guilty in Kirov that got him released, and the Hamsters were amazingly fortunate then that the authorities did not react as hard as they could to their childish tantrum on Manezh Square and its environs.

This time, I think the kid gloves will come off if Navalny gets sent down and the soft-arse bourgeois Hamsters start performing in the city centre.

And Lyaskin should get his collar felt now for invoking unsanctioned demonstrations, for it is clear that these white-ribbonists will continue to protest and cause disorder until they get one of theirs elected as president, something which the vast majority of Russian citizens most certainly do not want.

In the UK, if you appeal and lose, the judges often bang on extra time, especially if they consider the appeal to have been “frivolous”. No chance of that, I suppose, with Navalny - more’s the pity!
    Last edited: Oct 15, 2013
  20. MarkPavelovich

MarkPavelovich Commissar

And predictably – according to Navalny himself – Navalny lost his appeal in the Yves Rocher case, so that legal action will presumably proceed. Navalny’s lawyer, Olga Mikhaylova, says there is “no proof” that Navalny was involved in the crime, which is a funny thing to call the proceedings considering Navalny – again predictably – calls the charges “politically motivated”, which kind of suggests there was not a crime at all. And it’s a funny argument to make considering the trucking company was founded by Alexey Navalny. Busy little entrepreneur, wasn’t he? The KirovLes affair was only a year after that.

Speaking of the KirovLes matter, it comes up on Wednesday.