The NAVALNY Thread

Discussion in 'Russian Politics' started by José Moreira, Jul 19, 2013.

1. Patrick Armstrong

Patrick Armstrong Commissar

What's even worse is that they have to take their bribes in vodka.
  2. MarkPavelovich

MarkPavelovich Commissar

Sadly, that paid-in-vodka thing derives from an actual comment from one of our countrymen, the obviously worldly and well-traveled Richard Ewing of the British Columbia Institute of Technology.

http://www.vancouversun.com/life/Vancouver bars boycott Russian vodka after anti passed/8713709/story.html#Comments

I pray he is not faculty. The article which inspired the comment is a joyous full-throated roar of approval for boycotting Russian vodka so as to show those ignorant slavs what happens when the righteous rise up in anger at their high-handed laws which "restrict people from being openly gay".

Suffice it to say the article is only marginally less ignorant than the comments. Saith the intrepid Richard, and I quote; "Vodka is a significant export for Russia. Hell, it's practically replaced their currency in many parts of their economy. Even school teachers have been paid in vodka when there's no money to pay them. A global boycott on Russian vodka would have a major impact on their economy."

Stolichnaya, which is often mentioned by name in the gathering momentum for a global boycott, is actually bottled in Latvia, although the company is Russian-owned.
  3. Moscow Exile

Moscow Exile Ship Secretary (11th class)

Last time I saw anybody paid with vodka was an electrician in Voronezh in 1993. The fuses in my girlfriend's flat had blown and he replaced the fuse board and the decrepit wiring that had shorted. Before he arrived, she sent me out in search of vodka for him. I bought a bottle of the real MacCoy for him under the counter, as it were, at the back entrance to the main railway terminus canteen off an old dragon who did a roaring trade with those that had a disposable income. So the half-drunk electrician that did the job wasn't paid with samogon, but "Zolotoe Kol'tso" (The Golden Ring), which was a premium vodka at the time and out of the pocket of most folk. I was "rich" then because I was paid in US dollars. He was very, very pleased with his payment. At that time sugar was a means of exchange in the countryside. You used to see piles of 2kg. sacks of it in the shops. It wasn't for sweetening tea: it was for making samogon. Those were the golden Yeltsin years as the Chosen One has described them.

[​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG]

That yellow and black flag above is the old imperial one and those carrying it are "Russia for Russians" nationalists who, by the way, would most definitely not welcome LGBT people into their ranks.
    Drutten and MarkPavelovich like this.
  4. Moscow Exile

"Well, You Guys Need to See a Shrink!"
    An article by Eduard Limonov in Izvestia, July 29 2013:
    I pay a lot of attention to Navalny. I do.
    In so far as this Navalny phenomenon appears as a hitherto unknown symptom of our time.
    The hysterical affection of the Moscow intelligentsia for this man is mysterious and has no rational roots: all causes of affection are irrational.
    Well, yes, I do have personal reasons for treating Navalny negatively.
    How is possible for me to be nice to him when I’ve been given time and done it?
    After doing only one night behind bars, Navalny was magically released from gaol the following morning.
    In 2011, I said that I would be a candidate for the Russian presidential elections in March 2012.
    What happened next was that the annex of the Hotel Ismailovo, where, on the initiative of a group of a people a meeting was to have taken place as regards nominating me as a candidate, was surrounded by the police, who allowed nobody to enter the room.

I still held a meeting there on the hotel car park. As was expected, more than five hundred people came with their passports; they registered themselves in a bus, and the meeting took place.
    The Central Election Commission did not register me as a candidate.
    In order to have Navalny registered as a candidate for the post of Moscow Mayor, municipal deputies from the “United Russia” party, about which Navalny has spared few expletives over all these years, chipped in and provided him with 55 votes out of the 110 votes needed.
    He was registered, and now he’s conducting his election campaign as though nothing had happened.

This is a man who has been smeared by five criminal cases for fraud and embezzlement – five!
    And you have the nerve to say that all five of them were dreamed up by the Investigative Committee? So as to suck at a finger you need to have at least a finger.
    However, for some years now this man has been shamelessly engaged in private investigation – in investigation into corruption. And now he is presenting himself to Muscovites as a candidate for the post of their mayor.
    In their yearning for a hero, the Moscow bourgeoisie does not want to notice the thickness of the crust of dirt that is stuck to this character.
    After all these years, I should really like them to find their hero.
    Do you remember how they rejoiced in ecstasy over the “musician Yuri” [Yuri Yulianovich Shevchuk – Soviet/Russian poet, rock musician, protester, critic of Putin - ME]; all right then: Shevchuk – and how they all flocked around him for a whole season? By the way, the musician Yuri turned down the role that they were about to foist on him.
    They so much wanted their very own hero, did the bourgeoisie! They have been waiting so passionately that they have accepted the first comer, and quite wrongly; for in a sense he is totally the opposite of the hero that they need.
    They have taken on board an energetic rogue and a swindler.
    But that’s just not possible!
    No matter who promoted him and for whatever purposes, this is just not on, because this character is so unsuited to the role that he has been playing with pleasure.
    In fact, they have taken on a petty thief, a businessman, and he has been almost elevated to the rank of saviour of the Fatherland.
    His history is clear. He comes from an adept and skilled family of New Russians, in which everyone is a Jack of All Trades. Dad retired after serving 25 years in the army. (He must have been a good administrator in the Army.)The family comes from one of the richest districts of the Moscow region, Odintsovo.
    The family did some buying and selling, got into any swindles that were in the offing, wove and plaited willow cane (Reminds you of Ilf and Petrov’s “Barnyard” office!) [The “Barnyard” office appears in the novel "The Golden Calf" by I. Ilf and Petrov (1931), where a dummy firm is organized for fraudulent transactions. “Barnyard” has become a byword for the one-day firms and similar organizations established for a criminal purposes – ME], gets into any money making operations that are in the offing – from a subcontract with Russian Mail for delivering for the firm “Yves Rocher”, to Cypriot offshore companies. There are such families and such families continue to take pride in themselves operations.
    The law tolerates them as long as they keep out of gaol.
    However, a politician has no moral right to have such shady scams in his CV: he ought not to have them.
    All the values in society have been violated because of the hysteria that surrounds Navalny.
    And the values of democracy take priority. Democracy means equality of opportunity. But what kind of equality is there? None. 32 candidates got no help from the members of “United Russia”, but Navalny and Mitrokhin did. And Gudkov did as well in the Moscow suburbs.

When chance smiled on Navalny, the newly elected governor Belykh took him on board. Navalny happily clung on to to the source of his wealth. And arising out of this period in his life, we have at least three criminal cases: one involving “Kirovles”, another a distillery and the total disappearance of millions from the “Union of Right Forces”.
    And you support him?
    Well, you guys need to see a shrink!
  5. Moscow Exile

This is the Navalny the West does not report on:

6. Patrick Armstrong

Patrick Armstrong Commissar

I’ve been around long enough to remember that the big threat hyped in the West in the Gorbachev years was Pamyat and the super nationalists.
    That was what Gorbachev’s actions were going to release; that was the threat that we should all worry about. And observers then were hyper-alert to any signs of it and ever ready to talk about Russia’s long tradition of black hundreds and so on.
    Now it’s something to not even be mentioned. Curious.

Russia always the enemy; but always in a different way.
  7. MarkPavelovich

MarkPavelovich Commissar

Russia is Mestaclocan, the shape-shifter of Mayan legends, and even when it is winning it is losing.
  8. Moscow Exile

5th December 2011, Chistiye Prudy, Moscow

General summary of what the Chosen One says and his devoted followers repeat:

Navalny: We are!

Hamsters: WE ARE!

(Repeat over and over)

N:We exist!

H: WE EXIST!

(Repeat over and over)

N: We have a voice! We exist!

(Repeat over and over)

N: They may laugh at us and our microblogs but "I'LL BITE THROUGH THESE BASTARDS' THROATS!

H: WOO WOO WOO!

N: Party of crooks and thieves!

H: PARTY OF CROOKS AND THIEVES!

(Repeat over and over)

N: We shall never forgive and forget!

H: WE SHALL NEVER FORGIVE AND FORGET!

(Repeat over and over)

N: Putin is a thief!

H: PUTIN IS A THIEF!

(Repeat over and over)

N: Crooks and thieves!

H: CROOKS AND THIEVES!

(Repeat over and over)

N: We exist!

(Repeat over and over)

N: We shall have the power!

H: WE SHALL HAVE THE POWER!

(Repeat over and over)

N: One for all!

H: AND ALL FOR ONE!

(Repeat over and over)

And so it goes on and on and on....

I wonder if anyone wanted to ask him what his policies are?
  9. Moscow Exile

Has Alexey Navalny Really Changed Russian Politics?

[​IMG]

And just take a look at Zigfeld’s comment below the above linked blog about the Chosen One's support! !
    “It’s nonsensical to refer to Julia Ioffe as a “journalist” and slanders all genuine members of that profession. Ms. Ioffe is a partisan, a propagandist, a cheerleader, and nothing more.”
    The mind boggles!!!!
    Partisan! Propagandist! Cheerleader!
    Totally unlike the psychologically disturbed Russophobe who calls herself "Zigfeld"!
    And at last I can give faint praise to the Chosen One!
    Zigfeld writes:
    “My personal experience with Navalny is not encouraging, either. I criticize him, he blocks me from following his Twitter feed.”
    Not that Ziggy blocks anyone from her russophobic sites.

What a complete headbanger!
  10. Moscow Exile

Yes! I wonder what happened to Pamyat? I regularly used to see them in the '90s handing out leaflets outside metro stations. They wore a black uniform that bore more than a passing resemblance to the SS-uniform of Nazi Germany.

[​IMG]

The Pamyat web site is still up and running, but its last entry was 10 years ago.

Few in the West give more than passing reference to Navalny's association with the Russian far right - if, indeed, it is mentioned at all nowadays.

Sometimes someone gives warnings about his far right sympathies, as in this blog: "Leading Russia’s Democracy Movement Is A Far-Right Extremist". Such warning shouts, however, always seem to be drowned out by the orchestrated hysteria in the West for Russia's "leading" oppositionist.

It seems that the sentiment first expressed by Franklin Delano Roosevelt in reference to Nicaraguan military dictator Anastazio Somoza, namely: he might be a bastard, but he’s our bastard”, is still alive and well in Washington D.C.
  11. Moscow Exile

[​IMG]

Zhirinovsky Asks Prosecutor to Investigate Navalny Account

"Representatives of the Liberal Democratic Party today intend to send the Russian Federation Attorney General a request that Navalny's account be investigated. According to them, every 10 seconds 10-15 thousand rubles enter his Yandex account.

"Vladimir Zhirinovsky is going to ask the staff of the supervisory authority to deal with the curious situation in which the candidate for Moscow Mayor has already received about 20 million rubles. The head of the Liberal Democratic Party does not believe that ordinary citizens are replenishing the mayoral contender's fund. It could be coming from either Washington or Chukotka, said Zhirinovsky.

"Incidentally, in financial terms Navalny's election fund is second only in size to that of Sobyanin, ITAR-TASS reported."
  12. Moscow Exile

More and more Muscovites see no reason for voting for mayor

"The number of Muscovites who do not intend to participate in the upcoming mayoral elections has increased, according to a poll released today by the Public Opinion Foundation (FOM).

"According to survey data, the number citizens who want to use their voting rights at a polling station has fallen since June from 35% to 33%. Furthermore, the number of those doubting the need to vote has also significantly increased, that figure for the month having increased from 8% to 15%.

"In addition, social scientists have identified a feeling of neutrality amongst Muscovites towards the candidates. More than half of the capital's residents - 53% - do not feel antipathy towards any of them. 13% found it difficult to answer questions about them.

"Our latest data shows that 66% of those questioned were ready to vote for the Acting Moscow Mayor, Sergei Sobyanin; 12% are support the RPR-Parnas candidate, Alexei Navalny. The level of popularity of the other four candidates varies from 4% to 8%.

"Note that according to other studies, the number of Muscovites intending to turn out to vote is growing. According to the polls, 49% of Muscovites expressed their determination to go to the polls on September 8 and only 4% of Moscow residents had heard of the upcoming election for the first time."
  13. Moscow Exile

An amazing opinion piece from today's Moscow Times, in that it states that: "Navalny is a bright politician who was chosen by members of the anti-Putin elite who are linked to global oligarchy".

Well who'd have thought! I am both amazed and shocked!

The opinion piece is entitled: "Navalny's Orange Revolution Plans for Russia".
  14. Drutten

Drutten Collegiate Secretary (10th class)

I just have to mention this because I found it hilarious.

Navalny has been THE opposition in our (Swedish) media for years now. Nobody really seemed to care about his mediocre support, his questionable businesses, his political views that would get you in an awful lot of trouble here and so on. No, he was Russias only true hope against the DLK and his minions. He was a ray of light, a liberal Messiah in an otherwise dark and depraved nation. And the DLK was busy trying to stop him at any cost. That was it.

Recently, he's lost a bit of support here. Just the other day I read an interesting editorial on the matter in one of the chief newspapers. Now the very same newspapers and professional thinkers that used to love everything Navalny have started mentioning and in some cases truly emphasizing all kinds of drawbacks to this man. All good, you say? Maybe they're slowly learning how to nuance things?

Think again. Now the very existence of Navalny as a political figure who gathers support (albeit on a miniscule scale) is apparently proof that Russia is a volatile place and that a crazy fascist could assume power any day and initiate World War III. Now it's a bad thing that the DLK and his minions are apparently failing in their alleged crusade against him (no, I'm not making this up, that is what they now say).

My jaw literally dropped when I read this. So many things conflicting, no sense at all. What is it, amnesia? What?

Truly confused.
  15. Russian Truth

Russian Truth Office Registrar (13th class)

Yeltsin and Navalny. What are the chances?

[​IMG]

16. Moscow Exile

The chances of Navalny becoming president of Russia?

In my humble opinion, when it snows in hell, or, as the locals say: When a crayfish whistles on top of a mountain. (Когда рак на горе свистнет.)

When this mayoral election ends, the Chosen One is going down for five:

Go straight to jail!

Do not pass Go!

Do not collect your money off the CIA!

(My apologies to the makers of the board game "Monopoly" :) )
    Last edited: Aug 30, 2013
  17. Moscow Exile

18. Joshua

Joshua Collegiate Registrar (14th class)

I read in the Jerusalem Post that Navalny wanted to give "a toast to the Holocaust" is this true?
  19. AKarlin

AKarlin Generalissimo Staff Member

Not according to the very newspaper that first published those claims.

I'm not sure why some elements on Runet insist on smearing Navalny with such outlandish accusations when there's hardly a shortage of more concrete things to criticize him on.
    Robert and Alexander Mercouris like this.
  20. Joshua

Joshua Collegiate Registrar (14th class)