The Moscow Victory Day Parade, 2013

Discussion in 'The Russian Armed Forces' started by AKarlin, May 10, 2013.

1. AKarlin

AKarlin Generalissimo Staff Member

2. mls13

mls13 Collegiate Registrar (14th class)

Aaah, nostalgia. I can't get enough of it--and in HD to boot! Say what you want, but one thing's for sure, the Soviets perfected the art of the military parade. (Also, the military chorus.)

I'm not going to extrapolate and suggest it has more to do with the history of Russia's political structure more than the spatial confines of Red Square itself... but it has always struck me odd that you get these enormous, lavish military productions, and only a couple thousand people (max) ever get to see it as intended--and certainly no one without a certain rank or connections.
  3. Moscow Exile

Moscow Exile Ship Secretary (11th class)

True, but the parade has wall-to-wall TV coverage and there's a huge party spirit everywhere the whole day.
  4. Alexander Mercouris

Alexander Mercouris Ship Secretary (11th class)

There were two points about the parade that I found interesting this year:

1. Shoigu, who is after all a General himself, reviewed the parade in full military uniform. This is quite a contrast to the civilian appearance Serdyukov adopted.

2. It seems that at any rate for parade use the troops have reverted to peaked hats in place of the western style berets Serdyukov was trying to get them to adopt. I think I am right in saying that in Russia the tradition has been to limit the beret to special troops such as marines and paratroopers and tank troops. We seem to be going back to that.

Overall it looks to me like a return to a more conservative, "traditional" look, which is what one would expect from Shoigu.
  5. Patrick Armstrong

Patrick Armstrong Commissar

Gadzooks!
    What have they done to Lenin's tomb?
    Doe they always hide it away these days?