The Gentrification of the Russian Criminal Class

Discussion in 'Russian Society' started by Moscow Exile, Aug 11, 2013.

1. Moscow Exile

Moscow Exile Ship Secretary (11th class)

Long gone are the heady days of the '90s, those golden Yeltsin years that Navalny alludes to and many of his ilk still yearn for; that time when when quick wits and a ruthless liquidation of one's competitors could lead to the amassing of untold wealth almost overnight.

Now the children of these 1990s "entrepreneurs" are more and more being educated abroad in style, no expenses barred, as the Moscow Times reports in "Russians Flocking to Britain's Boarding Schools".

"Zoe Marlow, director of communications and marketing at Roedean [the British Princess Royal's old school - ME] said Russian students integrate well into life at Roedean and to British life in general. 'They often have family connections or property in London and therefore have a good understanding of, and interest in, British culture.'"

That must make me a real dummy, then, as regards British culture, because I ain't got no family connections or property in London.

Got a dacha in Russia though!

:)
  2. Philip Owen

Philip Owen Office Registrar (13th class)

Be fair. The same article also mentioned Admissions Tutors at other schools who said more or less outright that money alone couldn't produce grades good enough for overpriviledged children to enter elite Universities.