The Crimea Crisis

Discussion in 'The Near Abroad' started by José Moreira, Feb 28, 2014.

1. Drutten

Drutten Collegiate Secretary (10th class)

According to scattered reports, some 150 000 Ukrainians have sought refuge in Russia in the past couple of weeks.

(EDIT: http://lenta.ru/news/2014/03/01/fms/ )

The Crimean Tatars have reportedly sided with the pro-Russian majority in Crimea and have received moral support from the Republic of Tatarstan.

Also, the Right Sector leadership in Ukraine has called on the Caucasus jihadists to help them against Russia. That's basically the nail in the coffin for them credibility wise. Openly calling on Umarov and his internationally wanted terrorist gang (that are wanted as AQ terrorists by the US as well), hit your head much this morning?

Good going.
  2. Drutten

Those Russian marines sure are popular:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Last edited: Mar 2, 2014
  3. Drutten

Earlier today, in Ukraine:
    [​IMG]

Seriously guys, this is too funny.
  4. Drutten

The statement was promptly removed once the outrage became apparent. Now they say that they were hacked...

Some news agencies now report that Kiev wants to imprison dual citizenship holders (i.e. the large amounts of Russian Ukrainians applying for Russian passports), suggesting 10-year sentences.

Sounds like another bad move if true, and a quite odd one at that considering that they seem to have realised their "little" mistake regarding the laws on minority languages.

In other news, Kiev has appointed a bunch of regime-friendly billionaire oligarchs to key positions in regional councils and ministries.

Russia remains the big bad wolf still (in the MSM), despite the warm welcome in Crimea, all Ukrainian defections and even though no shots have been fired.

It is interesting to note that the 1994 agreement regarding Ukraines territorial integrity was never ratified by anyone, and many commenters are saying that Moscows stance on Crimea post-USSR was that they'll let it be as long as Ukraine doesn't mess with them. It'll be interesting to review Churkin and Lavrovs case later today. For now, I need to take a break from the medias (the propaganda is in high gear on all three sides right now and it's hard to verify things at this point).
    Last edited: Mar 3, 2014
  5. john smith

john smith Collegiate Registrar (14th class)

6. gbordakov

gbordakov Office Registrar (13th class)

Look at the results of the poll at this newspaper http://thekievtimes.ua/. "Who would you vote for in Ukrainian presidential elections taking place in a month?". Against all - 51%, Yanukovich - 16%, Poroshenko - 14 %, Timoshenko - 8 %, ... Of course it is not at all representative but funny. The newspaper itself is actually quite balanced, neither anti-, no pro-Russian.
    Here is another pretty funny blog http://m.vk.com/kapital_mozky ("Капіталізм головного мозку" - this is pun, literally "capitalism of a brain", but the construction of a phrase suggests treating capitalism as a brain disease). Perhaps it is representative of general attitude in Ukraine to recent events.
    A lot of humor to translate.
    I have picked this one
    http://m.vk.com/kapital_mozky?z=photo-33802345_323315586/album-33802345_00/rev
    [​IMG]
    The caption says: "My fuhrer, I had a dream. Russia attacked Ukraine and Germany demands to stop the war."
    Last edited: Mar 5, 2014
    José Moreira likes this.
  7. José Moreira

José Moreira High Commissar Staff Member

Sniper guarding Fulcrums at the Belbek Air Base:

[​IMG]
  8. Carlo

Carlo Ship Secretary (11th class)

According to many Russian sources, just 4 of 45 MiG-29 in Belbek are in flying conditions. Other reports state that less than half of Ukrainian Su-27 are operational (16 out of 36):
    http://www.militaryparitet.com/ttp/data/ic_ttp/6478/
    The Ukrainian armed forces are in very bad shape and are no match to Russia's. Despite, many servicemen are not regularly paid and Kiev can be sure that many will switch side (as is happening now in Crimea) should a military conflict with Russia arise.
  9. José Moreira

10. José Moreira

http://voiceofrussia.com/news/2014_...ussia-takes-effect-immediately-official-1450/

The decision made by the Supreme Council of Crimea to join the Autonomous Republic of Crimea to the Russian Federation takes effect the moment it is made, Ruslan Temirgaliyev, first deputy chairman of Council of Ministers, said.

"The decision made by the Supreme Council to join Crimea to Russia takes effect the moment it is made, that is, beginning today," Temirgaliyev said.
  11. José Moreira

12. Carlo

What?! Can the Supreme council make such a decision? And the 30th March referendum?
    Anyway, strange that things are moving so fast, specially considering that no real threat seems to exist right now - that we know of, at least.
    Last edited: Mar 6, 2014
  13. José Moreira

In Crimea as in Kiev they seems to make up things as they go... call it creative jurisprudence :)
  14. Drutten

OSCE delegation met with the Crimean Supreme Soviet* today.
    http://www.rada.crimea.ua/news/06_03_14_1

Wasn't there talks of OSCE monitoring the referendum?

Also, I noticed that pretty much every English Wikipedia entry on Crimea has been rewritten with a heavy pro-Kiev slant. Apparently every single pro-Russian politician in Crimea is a notorious criminal known for hideous acts and so on.

*I don't know whether to call it Council, Sovet or Rada. Everyone in the medias stick to rada, since it's popular to use the local term in contexts like these. Seeing as they're mainly russophone there I'd imagine sovet being the most appropriate, then.
  15. Mable Vladimirovna

Mable Vladimirovna Citizen

Apparently citizens of Crimea are to vote today on whether or not to join Russia.
  16. Drutten

I'm not quite sure how it works. I guess they voted to include joining the Russian Federation as an option for the March 16 vote? Or something?

Seems to be pretty popular down there though. Been looking around Crimean discussion forums and such, people are generally positive and the majority sentiment seems to be "it's about bloody time" or something along those lines. :p

I'm not sure what I think about it all, it's certainly not the kind of de-escalation I had in mind at least. Everything's moving so fast.

It is rather funny though, with the Kiev putsch and the massive propaganda war, the Kremlin trolling around shamelessly, and now this - Russian troops in Crimea and the potential secession of Crimea to Russia, by popular vote! Nazi analogies can be drawn everywhere, to everyone involved. What a god damn mess. :D
    Mable Vladimirovna likes this.
  17. Carlo

Yes, I read the article by Sergey Aksyonov earlier this week, and the section "Criminal career" didn't exist at all, it was added very recently. Anyway, this same information war happened during the South Ossetian conflict.
  18. Carlo

I already saw somewhere (don't remember where, though) a comparison with the Sudetenland.
    Mable Vladimirovna likes this.
  19. Drutten

I think this pretty much sums up what it's like in Sevastopol right now:
    http://grahamwphillips.com/2014/03/02/sevastopol-signs-up-for-a-russian-crimea/

From Graham Phillips, or "Brit in Ukraine" as he calls himself elsewhere. British freelance photographer, I reckon. José posted a link to his street interviews of Odessans before.

Yes, seen that as well. Not entirely without merit, I'll concede that there are similarities (and heaps of similarities to NATO adventures, as well). Though that doesn't necessarily mean we've got a full blown Putler at the helm. Historical analogies are often used as cheap rhetorical tricks.
  20. José Moreira

Drone images showing defensive positions along the Crimea /Ukraine border:
    Kolokol likes this.