Syria gas attack (as it were)

Discussion in 'International Politics' started by Patrick Armstrong, Aug 23, 2013.

1. Patrick Armstrong

Patrick Armstrong Commissar

More on the children

http://rt.com/op-edge/syria-chemical-weapons-children-063/

The US intelligence community has been put to shame by the dedication and determination of a lone Christian nun. Her modest study of the videos of the Syrian chemical attack shows they were productions involving staged bodies.

Those who take the time to read the report by Mother Agnes and the International Support Team for Mussalaha in Syria (ISTEAMS) will realize that it disgraces the entire US intelligence community for endorsing video footage that is clearly dubious and not credible upon careful study by even a layperson.
  2. Alexander Mercouris

Alexander Mercouris Ship Secretary (11th class)

Dear Patrick,

Interesting.

Robert Fisk in the Independent who for all his flaws is at least on the ground in Damascus has written an interesting short article, which basically says

1. That a local man embedded with the Syrian military as they took part in the offensive near Damascus on 21st August 2013 is sure that there were no gas attacks by the military. On the contrary he refers to panic when the rumours of a gas attack began to circulate because the soldiers had no protection.

2. That he has heard information circulating in Damascus that the Russians have traced the 140 mm rocket to a batch made in 1967 and sold around that time by the USSR to Nasser's Egypt, Gaddafi's Libya and to Yemen but not to Syria.

http://www.independent.co.uk/voices/comment/gas-missiles-were-not-sold-to-syria-8831792.html

For my part I repeat what I said previously.

1. The report of the UN investigators confirms that a chemical attack of some sort did take place. It does not identify the perpetrators and there is nothing in the report that identifies them. Certainly attempting to use limited information in the report about the trajectory of two rockets to identify the perpetrators is completely wrong given that the report provides no information about the range the rockets travelled, their launch sites or the time they were launched.

2. You have already highlighted the Moon of Alabama's claim that the 140 mm rocket may have been unconnected to the chemical attack. I would add that no one so far as I know has successfully identified the 330 mm rocket. Attempts to do so by reference to its calibre have led to the rocket being misidentified with a 330 mm rocket produced by Iran. Pictures that show the actual rocket in question and the Iranian rocket show that they are quite different. In fact the 330 mm rocket seems to copy an American rather than an Iranian design, which however is also no evidence as to its provenance.

3. My own impression from reading the UN inspectors' report is that the incident was much smaller than reported. What the nun says in her report would tend to bear that out. Incidentally if she is right and the photographs of at least some of the children are dead Alawite children killed after being kidnapped in Latakia, then that would be an outrageous crime worse in my opinion than the alleged chemical attack. I would point out that since the evidence is largely photographic it is a misconception that the bodies of the children would have had to be moved from Latakia to Ghouta. They could equally well have been photographed near Latakia with the videos simply claiming that they were made in Ghouta.

4. One of the most worrying aspects of this story has been the total failure of the western media to make any effort to find out the truth. In earlier conflicts after an incident of this kind journalists would have been storming Damascus pressing the authorities and the rebels to allow them to go to Ghouta to report directly from the site of the incident so that they could verify it and find out the truth. So far as I am aware only Robert Fisk has done so and he doesn't seem to have actually visited Ghouta. I understand by the way that the claims about how difficult it is for reporters to go to Syria are exaggerated (see again Robert Fisk and Patrick Cockburn). Besides the kind of hard bitten war correspondents I remember that covered the conflicts of the 1960s, 1970s and 1980s would not have let a little matter like reporting restrictions hold them back. Had anyone tried to prevent from going to Ghouta they would have been screaming about it from the roof tops and that would itself have become a major story. As it happens I get the impression the western media has made no effort to visit Ghouta to find out what happened there leaving the entire initiative to the makers of YouTube videos.

5. Lastly, I cannot help but recall your analysis of the Wikileaks cables that came out of the US embassy in Tbilisi during the 2008 South Ossetia war. You pointed out how the US embassy simply reported back to Washington the propaganda it was being fed by Saakashvili without apparently even considering that the source might be partial and therefore unreliable. The fantasy about the 1,400+ victims, which as Mark says must have originated with the rebels, shows that much the same thing is now going on. This discussion of the videos by the nun (which by the way supports your view about them being faked) may also confirm it.
  3. Patrick Armstrong

Agreed. But the nun would be talking about Christian children.
    Incidentally, the fake Israeli atrocity that I began this thread with also required a number of dead children trucked in and displayed to make it work. Lots of dead children around and always easy to make more.
    Alexander Mercouris likes this.
  4. Patrick Armstrong

Another set of data and arguments based on the UN report that suggest a manipulated situation.

http://english.al-akhbar.com/blogs/sandbox/questions-plague-un-report-syria

This UN Report raises more questions than it answers. The entire population it interviewed – witnesses, patients, doctors – share a bias toward rebels. Almost all were pre-selected by the opposition and presented to the UN team for a rushed investigation. The munitions forensics provide little evidence as to their point of origin, which is critical to determine culpability. The human and environmental testing are inconclusive in that they don’t provide enough information to help us determine what happened - and even suggest tampering and staging. Why would evidence need to be manufactured if this was a chemical weapons attack on a grand scale?