Russians Abroad

Discussion in 'The Far Abroad' started by Moscow Exile, Oct 11, 2013.

1. Moscow Exile

Moscow Exile Ship Secretary (11th class)

In 1997 I was standing at a bar in a Manchester pub waiting to give my order when my wife, whom I had only married one month earlier, approached me and asked me in Russian where the toilets were. I answered in Russian and off she went.

The place was packed. One of the men standing near me then said to his drinking companion: "Fucking Russians are here as well!"

I told him that I wasn't a "fucking Russian", but that the Russian woman with whom I had just spoken was my wife.

He started bumbling apologies and saying he didn't realize etc. Presumably, he must have thought that I, being merely a "fucking Russian", could not understand what he had just said about my wife and me and he went on to say that he had only recently returned from holidaying on the Canary Islands, where he had got sick to death of rowdy Russians.

I've holidayed with Russians on several occasions, but never abroad. On each occasion, I have never witnessed overly rowdy behaviour on their part and certainly nothing like that which I have witnessed my fellow countrymen partaking in on numerous occasions at various venues across Europe. Yet this man described my wife and me, quite loudly to all in his presence that were willing to listen, as "fucking Russians".

I should have dropped him there and then, as would have many a Mancunian if somebody had spoken in such a disparaging way in a bar about his wife.

However, I have since heard many of my ever so sensitive countrymen voice their dislike of Russians after having come across them abroad.

Are Russians really so badly behaved outside of Russia, I wonder?

One thing I am sure of, though, is that the owners of the Kitsch Club in Mayfair, London, certainly would have no complaints to make about their "fucking Russian" guests.

See: Two Russian millionaires in drinking contest
  2. Drutten

Drutten Collegiate Secretary (10th class)

My Russian is quite rusty but I like to strike conversation with Russians abroad (or here in Sweden) whenever the opportunity arises, just to practice basic conversation and stuff. I've never met any outright rude ones so far, in fact quite the opposite.

Just a few weeks ago I was at the local grocery store when two Russian men in their early 30's were in front of me in line. It's quite rare for us to get foreign visitors in this tiny town and people around here aren't very used to dealing with that. The cashier tried to speak English (more like Swenglish) to them but they didn't seem to understand it very well. One of them then looked at me with a smile and said something I couldn't hear and suddenly I found myself in one of those rare situations (mind you, I'm Swedish) and instead of just letting it go with a smile, I said chto? and continued in my broken Russian explaining that she only accepted Euros in bills (we still chiefly use the Krona) and that the total cost was €41. He shone up and looked almost creepily delighted.

Moments later, after presentations and names and all, I was invited to a fishing trip with them and their Swedish-Russian friend whom they'd come here to visit. Sadly I had to decline as my weekend was fully booked but I gave them tips on where to find the biggest pike in this area and well, there goes. :p A firm handshake and some polite goodbyes later, they took off.

However, like you I have heard stories about heaps of noisy, drunk and rude Russians from people visiting popular touristy places such as various Mediterranean islands, Thailand, various big cities etc. I honestly believe people from all nationalities have a mean tendency to act like jerks in contexts like those, whatever happens abroad stays abroad etc, especially if it's at the typical white trash-binge drinking and disgraceful behavior-destinations. Whether or not Russians are statistically worse than others, I don't know.
    Last edited: Oct 11, 2013
    AKarlin likes this.
  3. Moscow Exile

Moscow Exile Ship Secretary (11th class)

The yearly electronic dance music festival at the so-called Virtual Republic of KaZantip on the Kazantip Peninsula near Kerch on the Sea of Azov coast of the Crimea peninsula is supposed to be the wildest scene of vulgarity and debauchery ever recorded in the annals of Russian history.

Granted that the Crimea is the "near abroad" for Russians: in fact, for most of them it is not even "abroad"; nor is it part of the Ukraine, for the vast majority of Crimean inhabitants, who still consider themselves Russians if not Crimean Tatars.

I reckon the Kazantip annual drunken and narcotics-fired dance-craziness is little known in the wider world, but what goes on there, I believe, makes laid-back California all night beach parties look like a revivalist meeting.

You can see what I mean (Warning! Rude and lascivious dancing) below:

And I well remember how, at the height of the Cold War during a TV link between a USA studio and one in Moscow, some strange US citizen seriously posed the following question to the Russian audience: "Do you have sex in Russia?"

I wonder how many of those people in the clip above yearn to escape the obvious living hell that is the "Former Soviet Union" and head for the "Free West"?

:)
    Last edited: Oct 12, 2013
  4. Alexander Mercouris

Alexander Mercouris Ship Secretary (11th class)

This is a party and dance venue. One expects a certain freedom in the way young people behave inside such a place. What causes aggravation amongst local people is not how visitors behave with each other in the confines of such places or indeed what they do in private between themselves but how they behave outside when they mix with everyone else.

We do not have mass tourism from Russia in Greece because of the visa issue. However those Russian tourists we do have on balance have a reputation for being perfectly well behaved. In Turkey and Cyprus, where Russian tourists are far more numerous, I understand it is basically the same. My niece who is 15 recently went on holiday with her mother in Turkey. The resort there was largely filled up with Russians. My niece had no problems with them and nor from what she told me did the local people. Certainly there is nothing to compare with the raucous and anti social behaviour that some young British and Scandinavian tourists get up to.