Russian political prisoners in the Russian Federation by Pyotr Antonov

Discussion in 'Russian Politics' started by john smith, Aug 13, 2013.

1. john smith

john smith Collegiate Registrar (14th class)

Interesting article by Russian nationalist writer Pyotr Antonov on the alleged persecution of Russian nationalist political activists by the Putin regime.

http://www.theoccidentalobserver.net/2013/08/russian-political-prisoners-in-the-russian-federation/
  2. Moscow Exile

Moscow Exile Ship Secretary (11th class)

Wasn't there a young man imprisoned not so long ago in the UK because he Twittered a racist comment concerning an African UK footballer who had suffered a heart attack whilst playing? He, the convicted person, expressed the hope that the "Nigger" die. The Twitterer was convicted under the incitement to racial hatred law of the UK. Can he therefore be classed as a "political prisoner"?

Oh, and by the way, does the term "Putin regime" in the above posting mean the elected Russian government? If so, should one then talk of the "Cameron regime" in the UK, the "regime" that politically imprisoned a British citizen for inciting racial hatred?

See also: "Is Khodorkovsky A Political Prisoner: Read The ECHR Judgments Before Quacking".

"In 1998..[Nick Griffin] was convicted of inciting racial hatred for articles that denied the Holocaust and given a suspended nine-month prison term. While in the witness box, he said: "I am well aware that the orthodox opinion is that six million Jews were gassed and cremated and turned into lampshades. Orthodox opinion also once held that the world is flat.

"With more than 900,000 votes cast in its favour in the European elections, the BNP [British National Party] insists it is part of mass politics. Founded in 1982 by John Tyndall, the party grew from a schism in the National Front, of which Nick Griffin was, at one point, national co-ordinator.

'Griffin joined the BNP in 1995 and, by 1999, had taken over as leader, deposing Tyndall. Griffin, who was introduced to the works of the 1930s British fascist leader Oswald Mosley from his grandfather's bookshelves, is unabashed about tracing his political DNA back to an avowed admirer of Hitler. He told one interviewer: "There is a strong, direct link from Oswald Mosley to me."

See: "10 Things You Should Know About the BNP..."

Are the many trials and convictions of BNP members all "political"?

Do these trials take place because the BNP is feared by the British establishment?

When a member of a Russian nationalist party is tried and convicted for racist utterances and assaults against non-Russians, are these trials and convictions political?

Does the "Putin regime" do this because it fears the nationalist parties?

Despite the fact that Navalny has minimal support nationwide and at present only enjoys 9% support in the Moscow mayoral elections, was it a political trial that resulted in his conviction (pending appeal) for embezzlement, which trial only took place because he represents a serious political threat to the "regime" and therefore has to be neutralized?
    Carlo and Alexander Mercouris like this.
  3. Alexander Mercouris

Alexander Mercouris Ship Secretary (11th class)

On the subject of Khodorkovsy, the sequence of ECHR decisions on his first case has now reached its conclusion with the ECHR for the umpteenth time saying that the case against him was not politically motivated and that he is guilty of massive tax evasion. Of course the western media has completely ignored the implications of this Judgment or the way it explodes the whole western narrative on the Khodorkovsky case and the false claims made about it by people like Masha Gessen and Robert Amsterdam and of course Khodorkovsky himself. Of course the western media has done essentially the same thing with the Berezovsky v. Abramovich Judgment of the British High Court last year which again found that essential components of the western narrative of Russia's recent history are baseless and untrue. When that case is reported at all it is discussed purely as a personal battle between two rival oligarchs. What the Judgment actually tells us about recent Russian history and politics and about the sort of person Berezovsky really was (as opposed to the person he pretended to be) is ignored.

Turning to the subject of nationalist prisoners, the writer of the article may indeed be making a valid point. However one must be careful about jumping to the conclusion that all the persons convicted of racist hate crimes in Russia are political prisoners. Some of them may be but most of them were probably convicted justly.
    Carlo likes this.
  4. john smith

That was one isolated incident compared to the 2 thousand claimed by the author that I know some if not most are probably guilty of stirring up racial/ethnic hatred and violence but some are likely not.

Cameron doesn’t marginalize and give opposition candidates a miniscule amount of access to TV stations during political elections that are highly in his favour or the issue, using state finances and resources to promote himself and his party during elections, the issue of rigged regional elections in his favour.

I think this is one of the big problems with Russian commentators myself formerly included that they are not sufficiently critical of Putin from Russia’s long term achievements and development.

Has he really fixed Russia’s long term problems or has he just partially fix it while amassing as much political and economic power under his authority that if it were to diminish Russia would fall under a political vacuum and see something like an Egypt, Pakistan or Iraq if he was removed from power that he uses to maintain his standing in Russia?

True but the arrest and conviction of 2 thousand people seems overlay aggressive that in western countries is nowhere near that number. If the problem is that serious of racist/nationalist groups in Russia it is because of Putin’s prior lax response to the issue.
  5. Reggie Kabaeva

Reggie Kabaeva Office Registrar (13th class)

John Smith,

I don't know if you live in the USA, but "opposition" candidates such as Ralph Nader & Cynthia McKinney also have trouble getting air-time in the media compared to their Democrat/Republican rivals.

Nearly half of the media in Russia is openly anti-Putin so what "opposition" candidates are you speaking of? Navalny? Kasparov? Nemtsov? If so, do you really expect these marginal figures to get as much air-time as the incumbent? They certainly wouldn't receive comparable air-time to the incumbent in the US. The Democrat and Republican parties won't even ALLOW third party candidates on ballots in many states or to participate in debates, yet Putin's the one running the anti-democratic regime?!

The legitimacy of a government rests with its own people not outsiders, so to brand the Putin government a "regime" (a government with a 65% approval rating compared to say, Hollande's meager 29% in France) when sixty million Russians voted for it comes off a bit over the top to me.
    Philip Owen and Carlo like this.
  6. john smith

The problem I have with Putin and Russian commentators is that they could easily especially the Russian government list all the NGO's, individuals and their connections to western business, government and policy makers that are openly hostile to Russia and Russia aligned states like Serbia supporting hostile anti-democratic forces under the guise of human rights and democracy just like the Marxist terrorist forces that became the Bolshevik regime rather than trying to dismiss or mitigate every single criticism towards Russia and the Putin government.

My conclusion is that he could easily expose this and begin to start to lay the foundations for a truly independent political process but is using the same forces to consolidate his own control of power and evaluate his actions and presidency from long term Russian rather than western interests
  7. SWSpires

SWSpires Gubernial Secretary (12th class)

I've wondered myself if Putin isn't a couple of years past his sell-by date. The fact that he has to continually occupy the top position in the country - as if nobody else in Russia is qualified to do so - suggests a basic fragility to the system.
  8. john smith

Yes and his presidency for life is not going to last forever and the situation in the region will not remain the same.

Question is are some of his actions and in some cases inaction actually detrimental to Russia?

Mass immigration of Central Asia immigrants into Russia that is likely poorly managed will be a huge problem for Russia as it is with France only except much worse as these countries especially Uzbekistan have their own islamist movements that have ties to Chechen militants.

Oligarchs still run the country.

Countries still support Chechen terrorism and fund all the political opposition, alternative media, human rights groups, etc in the country.

He has failed to create a proper unified Eurasian Union important to Russia's long term interests Russia, China, Kazakhstan and the other Stan countries in energy, security and integrated economic block just some security agreements in the Shanghai Cooperation Organisation that was created under Yeltsin not Putin.

No effort has been made to investigate the billions of dollars laundered out of the country during the 90's and the network of banks inside and outside of Russia that helped launder it.

There are some important good elements he has done like securing Russian virtual exclusivity of trafficking Caspian oil and gas into Europe, war in Chechnya although that is considered a negative by foreign and domestic commentators securing Russia security and stability and sending Khoderkovsky to jail before he could sign Russia's oil pipeline rights to western oil companies on behalf of his master Lord Jacob Rothschild.
  9. Patrick Armstrong

Patrick Armstrong Commissar

Well I wasn't happy that he returned rather than establishing a precedent that two time is enough for any mortal and I do think he will go past his "best before" date.
    Here's what I wrote at the time
    http://www.russiaotherpointsofview.com/2011/09/russian-federation-weekly-report-1.html
    I really thought better of him.
    And, his return has raised Putin Derangement Syndrome to ever higher limits.

If he were retired and running a fishing school in Siberia (and still, reality being reality, influential behind the scenes) and Medvedev Pres and someone else from the Team as PM I think things would be better.

If the system he built only works with him, then it doesn't work.