Russian of the year 2013

Discussion in 'Russian Politics' started by José Moreira, Jan 5, 2014.

1. José Moreira

José Moreira High Commissar Staff Member

Who was the russian of the year?

Putin is the obvious answer, he had a really good year. The world seems to have discovered him.

My vote would go to Evgeny Roizman: he claimed an important victory for the opposition, a real victory not a moral one.
  2. MarkPavelovich

MarkPavelovich Commissar

Hey, José!! Congratulations on your new position and thanks for stepping up!!

My vote goes to Lavrov. He must have had nerves of steel to face down the western regime-changers not once, but twice, in the UN. I know he had the country and the government behind him, and he must have known China would be on board as well, but still it was a high-stakes game and he had to be the public face of Russia in what had to be some heavy arm-twisting sessions.
  3. Reggie Kabaeva

Reggie Kabaeva Office Registrar (13th class)

I don't think one can argue against Putin/Lavrov. Those are obvious choices.

It's not so much that the world has discovered Putin, but that many are now starting to question the hit pieces circulated on him in the anglosphere almost daily. People are taking note of his handling of Syria, Ukraine & the Snowden affair and are coming to realize that this western-driven Putin hate fest is motivated by Geo-political ambtitions not "human rights."

People are not that stupid and are now slowly starting to connect the dots.
  4. john smith

john smith Collegiate Registrar (14th class)

The McLaughlin Group named Putin biggest winner of 2014 by John McLaughlin on its annual year end awards.

5. Drutten

Drutten Collegiate Secretary (10th class)

Definitely, and it's about time.
  6. Patrick Armstrong

Patrick Armstrong Commissar

I'm not going to watch the thing, TV being the slowest and least accurate means of communication ever invented, but I'll bet that the whole take was zero-sum as if there were a competition between Moscow and Washington for scoring points. Putin beats Obama in the pingpong game!!! Which is not, IMO, actually getting VVP's achievements right..

Today's thought. The Triumphant Libyan Intervention lasted 226 days. That means, using the same time frame (but Syria is a tougher proposition than Libya and would take longer....) that the Glorious Syrian Democracy Intervention will be ending sometime in April. In that respect, it's not just Putin who won.