Russian Christmas

Discussion in 'Russian Culture' started by Moscow Exile, Jan 7, 2014.

1. Moscow Exile

Moscow Exile Ship Secretary (11th class)

С Рождеством Христовым!

Merry Christmas!

The Evil One attended midnight mass at a newly built Orthodox cathedral in Sochi.

See: Рождество Христово

and here:

Orthodox Christians mark Christmas

I must say that I like Orthodox Church services from a purely a historical and cultural perspective. I think the orthodox liturgy is about as close as one can get to how it was done in early Christian times because of the very fact that it is Eastern; although Judea was a protectorate of the Roman Empire, it was still very much part of the Hellenic world, hence the the orthodox service of Byzantium and thence to the Russian Orthodox liturgy of the the Third Rome gives us, I think, a closer link to what they did in ancient times. In fact, that’s what “orthodox” means, the word having arrived in the English tongue through church Latin from the Greek “orthodoxia” (ορθοδοξία): “right opinion/belief”.

It’s the singing that I like best, and the prayers that are chanted out in Church Slavonic.

However, like the proverbial curate’s egg, Russian Orthodox services for me are only good in parts: they are much longer than most Western services are, be they Catholic or Protestant, and its standing room only. Last night, for example, the Christmas vigil service would have begun at about 11 p.m. and ended about 4 hours later. See:

Russian Orthodox Christmas

I’ve done it once, in London as a matter of fact, and once was enough!

The Easter vigil is just as bad: I’ve done that as well, but here, and again – only once.
  2. Moscow Exile

And here’s what happened, yesterday (January 6th, 2014), the Eastern Orthodox Church Christmas Eve, on the rooftop of the Cathedral of the Icon of Our Lady of Kazan, Red Square, Moskva:

And not a murmur of this in the Western press, nor, as far as I can see, in the Russian press either.

I take it the follower of Mohammed was arrested.

Interesting to see what the chattering Russian liberasts will make of this – if anything.

Surely he will be charged with hooliganism at the very least. And insulting people of faith? – which was, in my opinion, most certainly his intention, just as it would have been if a Russian Orthodox Christian had stood on the roof of a mosque and sang out the Orthodox Creed in Church Slavonic (part of English version follows) :

I believe in one God, the Father Almighty, Maker of heaven and earth, and of all things visible and invisible;

And in one Lord, Jesus Christ, the Son of God, the Only-begotten, Begotten of the Father before all ages, Light of Light, True God of True God, Begotten, not made, of one essence with the Father, by Whom all things were made:

Who for us men and for our salvation came down from heaven, and was incarnate of the Holy Spirit and the Virgin Mary, and was made man;

And was crucified also for us under Pontius Pilate, and suffered and was buried;

And the third day He rose again, according to the Scriptures;

And ascended into heaven, and sitteth at the right hand of the Father…

He might very well have been slaughtered on the spot before any arrest had taken place.
  3. Moscow Exile

More on the Gifts of the Magi from Argymenty i Fakty:

Навстречу Дарам. Кто и зачем пришёл поклониться православной святыне
    [Going to See the Gifts. Who Has Come to Venerate the Orthodox Relics and Why]

An hours-long queue of more than ten thousand people lines up at the Cathedral of Christ the Saviour . Reporter AiF.ru Roman Kulguskin talked with those who managed to venerate the holy gifts of the Magi that have been brought to Moscow from Athos .

Access to the shrine is open from 8:00 to 22:00 every day until January 13 . However, the first pilgrims to see the relic had already done so at vespers. From early morning, those who could not do that began to take their place in the queue. By noon, people had lined the Prechistenskaya Embankment to the Cathedral of Christ the Saviour almost from the Crimea Bridge. A poll showed the AiF.ru correspondent that the average wait before seeing with the reliquary was 4-5 hours.

From the Editor: Myrrh , frankincense and gold, which , according to legend, was presented to the Christ child by the Wise Men, is being exhibited in the Cathedral of Christ the Saviour until 13 January inclusive, after which they will be sent to St. Petersburg . An Organizing Committee encourages believers to go to the cathedral by way of metro station "Park Kultury", thence to Prechistenskaya Embankment. There begins the queue. Parking for buses with pilgrims coming from regions has been arranged on the Frunze Embankment. For other pilgrims 23 buses have been allocated and 160 toilets have been installed. A place to eat has been organized as well as eight medical teams and a squad from the Moscow counselling services. To ensure public order there are 800 police and soldiers of the Internal Forces present.

[​IMG]

That's the queue about a quarter of the way from its start point at the foot of the Crimea Bridge which is situated beyond the line of buses and around the distant bend in the road and past that large white exhibition hall of the Pushkin Museum seen on the opposite bank of the river.