Russian Air Force Thread

Discussion in 'The Russian Armed Forces' started by Bellum, May 6, 2013.

1. Drutten

Drutten Collegiate Secretary (10th class)

It bears a striking similarity to the paint schemes of the YF-22 and X-35 prototypes, albeit a tad more contrasted. I don't think it's anything "final".

Well, the F-22 is painted in a diffuse matte grey, that blends in fairly well with atmospheric haze at a distance. The same thing goes for other US air superiority fighters, like the F-15C and F-16C though they're not quite as high tech in terms of radar absorbent coatings and what not.

Darker camouflages are seen in aircraft more focused on ground attack, such as the F-15E, the F-35 and the old stealth bombers F-117 and B-2.
  2. José Moreira

José Moreira High Commissar Staff Member

Deliveries for the Russian armed forces in 2013:

76 airplanes:

Fighters:
    12 Su-35S
    18 Su-30 (14 SM + 4 M2)
    4 MiG-29K (2 + 2 MiG-29KUB trainers; for the Navy)

Bombers:
    14 Su-34

Trainers / Light fighters:
    20 Yak-130

Transport:
    3 An-140-100
    1 An-148-100
    3 L410UVP-E20 (Czech made)

Surveillance:
    1 Tu-214ON

112 helicopters:

Attack:
    17 Ka-52
    14 Mi-28
    8 Mi-35

Transport / Multipurpose:
    4 Mi-26
    53 Mi-8AMTSh
    10 Mi-8MTV-5
    6 Ansat-U

I can't vouch for the accuracy of these numbers, but anyway it was a great year for the VVS. They got more new aircraft this year than most air forces have in total.

Last year 40 new airplanes and 127 helicopters were delivered.
    AKarlin likes this.
  3. Morgoth

Morgoth Office Registrar (13th class)

The rate at which procurement rates are rising in the air force is impressive albeit from a low base. The Russian air force currently maintains some 1,200 fighter and bomber aircraft. To keep those numbers and assuming a 20 year life cycle, Russia will have to build a minimum of 60 aircraft per annum and 48 aircraft assuming a 25 year life cycle. Considering that Russia built 48 fighter and bomber aircraft in 2013 and those figures are likely to rise in the near term, I think it would be safe to say that Russia is procuring combat aircraft as a rate which is sufficient to maintain current levels.

Helicopter production is also more than sufficient to maintain current levels and at current production rates, the helicopter fleet of the Russian Armed Forces which numbers a 1,000 or so will be replaced every 9 years. In fact, it is likely that given the existing rates of production and likelihood of further growth that the total size of Russia's helicopter force will increase.
    Last edited: Jan 7, 2014
  4. Drutten

Well, deliveries are continuing. Another 12 Sukhoi Su-35S were delivered the other day, so the first order is expected to be fulfilled by Q1 2015. Here's a photo from KnAAZ and the "roll out":
    [​IMG]

And deliveries for Su-30SM are ongoing as well, here are two of the VVS birds on a snowy airfield (very Russian indeed):
    [​IMG]

More Yakovlev Yak-130 advanced trainers/light fighter-bombers have been delivered as well, and right now only 10 or so remain to fulfill the initial VVS order of 55 (and they will be delivered this year). Then at least another 20 or so are expected to be ordered for 2015, upping the VVS inventory to 70+.

Interestingly, the latest batch delivered sport a new camouflage scheme, strongly similar to Sukhois trademark hazy blue air-superiority scheme, that one sees on the Su-27's in VVS service:
    [​IMG]

Su-27SM3, for reference:
    [​IMG]

Old Yak-130 scheme for reference:
    [​IMG]
    Last edited: Feb 14, 2014
  5. Drutten

Somwhat off-topic, but this is an unusually Western-looking paintjob for a Russian-made fighter:
    [​IMG]

Two Sukhoi Su-30MKM's, in the Malaysian Air Force.

And this is what happens when you paint Sukhoi Flankers the way US Navy jets are painted:
    http://www.aereo.jor.br/2011/10/13/flankercats/

I find this a bit interesting, because having been fed with images of derelict Soviet planes with oddly colorful and oftentimes quite shoddy paintjobs, I started wondering if their outdated look was something inherent to Russo-Soviet designs. Now I know better.
    Last edited: Feb 14, 2014
  6. Carlo

Carlo Ship Secretary (11th class)

Beautiful planes. Fortunately, from what I've been reading in forums, the "eggplant" gray that was adopted by Serdyukov for all kinds of aircraft (Yak-130, Su-35S, Su-34, A-50U, Mi-28N) won't be the standard painting for Russian aircraft anymore. The only one which in my opinion looks great in gray (and it is a different tone from the "eggplant grey" of those other planes) is the T-50-5:
    http://russianplanes.net/id125027
    http://russianplanes.net/id129701
  7. Drutten

Yakovlev Yak-130 using smart munitions:

Mikoyan MiG-31's of the 764th Interceptor Regiment on a cold day in Perm: