Reports, and analysis regarding the attack on the USS Liberty

Discussion in 'The World: Past, Present, & Future' started by Kolokol, Jul 23, 2013.

1. Kolokol

Kolokol Office Registrar (13th class)

I'm looking for Russian information, reports, and analysis regarding the attack on the USS Liberty, June 8, 1966 during the Six Day War.
  2. José Moreira

José Moreira High Commissar Staff Member

3. AKarlin

AKarlin Generalissimo Staff Member

Good luck with that, Kolokol! Not sure you'll be able to find much on it though. That event is a mostly American obsession.

BTW, Moreira - in the future, please don't link to other forums. Or at least if you must do so in a private message. I appreciate that the community here at least for now leaves... some things to be desired, in terms of numbers, but we are trying to build it up after all and we don't want links to other Russia forums in English (aka our direct competitors).
  4. Kolokol

Apparently so, but other info on the 6 Day war would also be of interest. Military movements, call ups, alerts etc.
  5. MarkPavelovich

MarkPavelovich Commissar

The U.S. Naval Institute's professional journal, "Proceedings", did a few write-ups on it, but your best bet would be transcripts of civil suits filed by crew members against the Israeli Defense Forces and the Israeli Government. I'll see if I can dig up some of my old material for you, but I distinctly remember the Israelis protested they had mistaken LIBERTY for an Egyptian freighter known to ply her trade in the area. The two were greatly dissimilar. I also remember the IDF pressed home not one but several attacks and it was clear they were trying to sink the vessel although they were screaming on all the international clear channels that they were an American non-combatant. Only when LIBERTY received a reply from a USN Carrier group which announced it was sending assistance did the IDF break off the attack, announce it had been a terrible misunderstanding and offer assistance, which was angrily declined.

Yeah...here are a couple of links to get you started.

http://whatreallyhappened.com/WRHARTICLES/ussliberty.html

http://www.history.com/this-day-in-history/israel-attacks-uss-ilibertyi

This one draws some politically-incorrect conclusions, but the sources of commentary are solid and extend all the way up to a former Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff.

http://www.veteranstoday.com/2012/06/07/alan-hart-israels-attack-on-the-uss-liberty-the-full-story/

Here's one from the source I mentioned, the United States Naval Institute (there are several). Although the author stays fairly dispassionate, he leans quite heavily on the ruling by Judge Cristol that it was an accident, an unfortunate case of mistaken identity. But Judge Cristol relied largely on transcripts provided by the Israelis to reach his decision. And radio traffic from both the ship and an Israeli reconnaissance aircraft which overflew it several times before the attack was monitored by a variety of operators in the area. Several reported they heard the reconnaissance aircraft correctly identify the ship as USS LIBERTY. There seems little doubt they knew who it was, but attacked anyway.

http://www.usni.org/magazines/proceedings/2003-06/friendless-fire

Judge Cristol later put out his own book, which he or his editors refer to as "the definitive account" of what occurred.

http://www.usni.org/store/books/cold-war/liberty-incident-revealed-0
    Last edited: Aug 30, 2013
  6. Kolokol

Thank you Mark,
    I've got most US info, both "alternative" and official. Personally, while something accidental may have happened somewhere I don't believe the entire incident was in any way accidental. I recall the early days of that war and my father, a US Army Colonel, mentioning that the Soviets were staging a massive airlift. I've no details on what that actually meant, maybe just as a possibility. Other Soviet actions were also interesting, like the appearance of the MIG 25, (or was that another war?).

This may be of interest.
  7. MarkPavelovich

MarkPavelovich Commissar

Although the Foxbat first flew in 1964, it was only as a prototype for testing and it did not enter service until 1970. There was considerable debate among Israeli leaders as to whether the Soviet Union would intervene in the Six-Day War, but it did not and Israel moved to capture additional territory that had not been part of the original plan, based on perceived opportunity. A fairly-credible theory regarding the attack on the LIBERTY held that the Israelis did not want any observation/potential interference with their attack on the Golan Heights, which took place after Damascus had already accepted a cease-fire offer.
    Kolokol likes this.
  8. Kolokol