Putin Derangement Syndrome

Discussion in 'Russian Politics' started by Patrick Armstrong, Aug 30, 2013.

1. Reggie Kabaeva

Reggie Kabaeva Office Registrar (13th class)

I do find it more than disturbing that anyone can make up anything about any public figure without the slightest bit of evidence and it will be given press and treated as fact.

To me this story is the ultimate example of what journalism has become and how scary it is. You invent a completely bullshit story, and then make follow-up stories of the reaction to this bullshit as if it were based on actual evidence. And now they have attached this invented story to Putin in people’s consciousness, some believe it’s true, some believe it’s not, but forever will there be “speculations” about his “alleged homosexuality”, all out of absolutely nothing, not one little shred of proof.

This seems to be the "trend" among biographers today: to claim the targeted personality was "gay." I've now seen it written about Lincoln, Hitler, etc. I think this trend has more to do with selling books than anything. After all, what else could they possibly turn up new on a famous deceased world leader which hasn't already been probed a thousands times over already? I know! Let's claim he/she was homosexual/lesbian!
  2. SWSpires

SWSpires Gubernial Secretary (12th class)

A lot of this derives from misreading or ignorance of cultural and historical contexts. For instance, in Lincoln's America (especially on the frontier), beds were scarce and it was common for men to share them. Also, men in those times often engaged in flowery correspondence with each other, which might "look gay" from our point of view.

I heard from a traveler returning from Egypt how he was stunned at how "gay-friendly" the country was. This is because it's normal for Arab men to walk around holding hands and even kiss in public. For them, there's nothing gay about it.
  3. Valeria

Valeria Gubernial Secretary (12th class)

Some Western media entities accusing Putin of "gayness" is one problem.

Another problem is that some (like famous US and British online newspapers such as New York Times, Washington Post, CBS News, Huffington Post, The Guardian and countless others) are mounting an all out attack on "homophobia" at the Winter Olympics in Sochi, Russia. I googled "Winter Olympics in Russia" and "Russian Olympics" and those horrifying false articles showed up first among the pile.

I think Google is part of their team and lends helps to such online newspapers. I have since realized that it's a good idea for me to delete my Google account in the near future and not participate with people who support scum in their online research engines.
  4. Mable Vladimirovna

Mable Vladimirovna Citizen

Consider Gorbachev!