Putin Derangement Syndrome

Discussion in 'Russian Politics' started by Patrick Armstrong, Aug 30, 2013.

1. Patrick Armstrong

Patrick Armstrong Commissar

2. Patrick Armstrong

Very interesting indeed.

This comment especially hits home I think.

Black Death said...
    OK, I'll admit it - I'm a Putin fan. He stands up for his country and his countrymen and his co-religionists (Orthodox Christians). He's a real outsdoorsman - the seeming opposite of the effeminate Obama. And he certainly tolerates no crap from the forces of political correctness.

Also, we Americans are fortunate to live in a real constitutional democracy, rather than in some quasi-totalitarian state such as Russia. I'm glad that, in the USA, no president would ever use the organs of government, such as the IRS and the Department of Justice, to intimidate and harrass opposition groups. And serious scandals, such as Benghazi and Fast and Furious, are investigated promptly and openly, instead of being ignored or covered up, as they would be in Russia. The dreadful legacy of the NKVD/KGB lives on in Russia. I'm glad that no American government would ever secretly wiretap our reporters or conduct large-scale clandestine surveillance of its citizens. Leave that to the FSB!

Of course, the economic system in Russia has been described as "crony capitalism." Those who are plugged in to the Putin network tend to do very well, while those who aren't usually go broke or end up in jail. And the crony capitalists kick back plenty to the Putin machine to express their gratitude. This is so different from our system, where banks and certain favored corporations never receive bail-outs or benefits such as a "stimulous package." Plus, we are fortunate that Wall Street has no influence over what happens in Washington.

So I guess it's OK to admire Putin, as long as we continue to mindful of the major differences between his regime and Obama's.

9/24/2013 12:10 PM
  3. Patrick Armstrong

This piece, referred to above, also has something to say (once you get back all the usual accusations about fixing elections et al) and provides a possible reason for VVP's macho man photo ops.

So the next time you see Vladimir Putin doing something manly with his shirt off, move past the macho. Look for the control, the mastery, the discipline that he will inevitably be displaying. And realize that Vladimir Putin is being a positive role model — yes, a positive role model — for Russian men who otherwise lack external controls or incentives to channel testosterone in productive directions. It sounds crazy to say so, but like a good father, he is trying to inculcate in his Russian sons a culture of self-discipline.

http://huntergatherer.com/alpha-why-westerners-misunderstand-vladimir-putin/

Certainly a theory to think about.
  4. Patrick Armstrong

5. Valeria

Valeria Gubernial Secretary (12th class)

How did the derangement syndrome for the Putin person, or admiration for the Putin person, start? Was it his policies and viewpoints from Syria to the management of Russia? Or was it Putin's pictures and photos of him doing stuff? Was Putin in a video and some individuals (or sources) heard his manner of speech and started obsessing about that?
  6. Patrick Armstrong

At the start I believe when Western reporters all based in Moscow didn't bother to go to St P to find out about the deputy mayor. So they concentrated on the KGB past. And it grew from there and intensified when he came back for a 3rd term.
    A great deal of the anti Putin rants are nothing more than repetitions of "once KGB, always KGB".
  7. Valeria

Valeria Gubernial Secretary (12th class)

Thank you for the explanation.
  8. Patrick Armstrong

As a small recent illustration this piece from the Independent reminds us right away that he's a former KGB agent (in case any one had forgotten). (Pedantically he was an officer., not an agent.)

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/vladimir-putin-nominated-for-nobel-peace-prize-8853349.html

BTW the comments as always are interesting -- I again notice a certain distance developing between the opinioneers (the piece is as anti-Putin as possible, given the subject) and their readers (understand that he really did stop a war from happening).
  9. Moscow Exile

Moscow Exile Ship Secretary (11th class)

This KP headline caused me a chuckle: Англичане сочли российского президента достойней американского ("The English consider the Russian president worthier than the American one.")

The article is about a survey undertaken by the British (not English!) newspaper "The Guardian" (which used to be an English newspaper when it was the far better "Manchester Guardian") of its readers' (who are not all English!) opinion concerning the awarding of a Nobel Peace Prize:

Britons would give the Nobel Peace Prize to Putin.

The influential conservative British newspaper "The Guardian" has conducted a website poll amongst its readers, asking them the simple and absolutely unequivocally interpretable question: "Who is worthier of the Nobel Peace Prize: Obama or Putin?"

By the very formulation of the question wording, the preferred answer was "Obama", judging by the positioning in the question of his name in front of Putin's.

However, the expectations of the survey did not work out that way: 84% of readers preferred Putin, considering him a worthier person to receive the Nobel Peace Prize, and it turned out that only 16 % of Britons were sympathetic to Obama.

What made me chuckle wasn't the result of the survey, it was the fact that KP considers "The Guardian" to be "conservative", whereas that rag and its "Guardianista" readership consider themselves to be right-on liberals.
  10. Patrick Armstrong

Last edited: Oct 5, 2013
  11. Patrick Armstrong

Not exactly connected but not unconnected either (given that many seem to think VVP makes every decision in Russia)

The sister of one of the Canadian Greenpeacers sitting in the slammer has said Ottawa isn't doing enough to help her brother.

Check the comments -- the vast majority are saying "he did the crime, he can do the time". Hah hah

http://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/jailed...rd-sister-says-1.1484925#commentsField-442161
  12. Patrick Armstrong

Further to Greenpeace -- I've been reading with amusement the comments (90%+ hostile to GP) on this puff piece.
    And VVP comes in for a fair bit of admiration/respect as well.
  13. SWSpires

SWSpires Gubernial Secretary (12th class)

This is kinda dumb:

A non-conspiratorial view is that the paper was just following alphabetical order.
  14. Moscow Exile

Moscow Exile Ship Secretary (11th class)

Moscow Exile did not say: "By the very formulation of the question wording, the preferred answer was "Obama", judging by the positioning in the question of his name in front of Putin's".

Moscow Exile merely translated what Komsomolskaya Pravda wrote in this article: Англичане сочли российского президента достойней американского, namely "В самой формулировке было изначально заложено предпочтение Обаме, если судить по тому кто из двух персон на каком месте был поставлен в вопросе".
  15. SWSpires

Yes - sorry, I should have specified. Doesn't surprise me coming from KP.
  16. Reggie Kabaeva

Reggie Kabaeva Office Registrar (13th class)

How's this for "derangement."

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ims-controversial-new-biography.html#comments

I love how the "biographer" results to claiming "might" in order to likely avoid a possible defamation lawsuit.

Elvis "might" be alive, Michael Jackson "might" have faked his death, I "might" win the grand jackpot with my next lottery ticket purchase.

I can't believe these tabloids (or tabloid biographies) are still in business and that people actually still buy them.
  17. Carlo

Carlo Ship Secretary (11th class)

"the macho photos of him with topless tigers and bears are not staged."
    Oh my, these tigers and bear should show some modesty and cover their chests!
    Seriously, what else can I say about this?
  18. Patrick Armstrong

"Latently gay" -- that's a great diagnosis -- doesn't require any evidence at all. BTW this was one of Litvenenko's "secrets" about VVP and I faintly recall an intelligence organisation not a million miles south of me that had this floating around as an idea 10 or so years ago.

Reminds me of the analysis of Hitler which I read years ago. During the war a US intelligence service (OSS?) hired a Freudian shrink to write an analysis of Hitler. A coprophage was the diagnosis as I recall. The author plaintively said that he was paid for his piece and never heard another word about it.
  19. Carlo

Carlo Ship Secretary (11th class)

I am not taking any conclusions, but I have to admit that when Putin kissed that little boy in the belly, in front of a crowd in the the Red Square, was weird. That was around 2006 or 2007, if I remember well.
  20. SWSpires

Yeah, I remember that. It struck me that the same incident, if it had taken place in the USA or other Western countries, would have led to mouth-foaming denunciation in media. As I recall Putin said something about the kid being adorable like a little kitten, or words to that effect.