Putin Derangement Syndrome

Discussion in 'Russian Politics' started by Patrick Armstrong, Aug 30, 2013.

1. Patrick Armstrong

Patrick Armstrong Commissar

An occasional thread to collect illustrations of the amazing obsession so many have with Putin personally.

I agree with Herman’s critique of Obama’s “serial weakness in his dealings with Iran, with China, and with Vladimir Putin.” I also agree that Obama has displayed “serial incompetence in Egypt” and “negligence and irresponsibility in Libya and Benghazi– not to mention. . .mendacity in covering up that negligence.”

My point is not the sentiment, it's the observation that while all the rest are countries, Putin is an individual.

Another example of the personalism of the obsession.
  2. Carlo

Carlo Ship Secretary (11th class)

Well, truth is: Putin is the only true statesman alive, so it is natural that many (even unwillingly) recognize this fact.
    K Suzanne Moreson likes this.
  3. Patrick Armstrong

Must say that that hadn't occurred to me but it's certainly a factor. The guy is more there than most other leaders.
  4. Patrick Armstrong

The Putin cult grows. (Seriously this is a development I've been looking for: VVP as the world trend-setter. This site is of course utterly loyal to BHO. No guesses on what shirt VVP is wearing in teh photo.

Casting a wide net and always willing to promote whoever will mount attacks against President Obama, conservative commentators have recently reached out all the way to Moscow to embrace their latest champion, Russian president Vladimir Putin. The more he criticizes Obama for wanting to mount military strikes against the Syrian government for gassing its own citizens, the more Putin's comments are cheered by conservatives here.
    The newfound affection is downright bizarre considering Russia, and the former Soviet Union, has for decades been the epicenter of right wing suspicion and hostility; the proverbial Evil Empire. And in terms of the current debate regarding Syria, Putin is isolating himself from the international community. As USA Today noted this week, "Russian President Vladimir Putin's strident defense of a Syrian regime that has killed tens of thousands of its people in a civil war that has divided him from many world powers viewing Syria as a humanitarian disaster that demands intervention."

They'll soon have to eat the bolded bit.

http://mediamatters.org/blog/2013/09/06/a-right-wing-media-star-is-born-vladimir-putin/195756
    AKarlin likes this.
  5. Alexander Mercouris

Alexander Mercouris Ship Secretary (11th class)

No one is making that mistake here in Britain. On the contrary it is universally acknowledged that at St. Petersburg it was Putin who had world opinion behind him. On the contrary it is Obama and the US who look isolated.
    K Suzanne Moreson and Joshua like this.
  6. Philip Owen

Philip Owen Office Registrar (13th class)

The TV pictures from the meeting room were good for him. Putin was addressing the meeting; the others were listening. Obaama looked and sounded desperately tired on Day 2. Sleepless night?
    Joshua likes this.
  7. MarkPavelovich

MarkPavelovich Commissar

Nile Gardiner agrees, although he could be expected to since if he were an American he would be a conservative Republican, and he frequently appears on Republican-mouthpiece FOX News. I think even Republican are getting a little uneasy, though, at the extent to which Obama has crumbled in the last month or so. They devoutly and publicly prayed for his collapse, but now that it has come they are reaching the uncomfortable realization that it might cause international damage which will outlive the next election cycle.

http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/news/n...on-the-world-stage-compared-to-george-w-bush/

This is the same Barack Obama who somewhat cockily proposed a few weeks ago that Putin does not have to know how to think on his feet because all debates in which he participates are pre-scripted and he "never has to answer any tough questions". Yet now it is Putin who emerges as the unlikely champion of world events, with the scarf of international law knotted to the sleeve of his chain mail. Who could have forecast that a year ago? Nonetheless, it has become a reality that even his strongest detractors are having their noses rubbed in daily. They might have to assassinate him with a drone or something, for his temerity.
  8. Joshua

Joshua Collegiate Registrar (14th class)

Stupid Americans can't get over that the fact that Team America is going the way of Rome and now they're trying to start another war haha really these people should concentrate on paying their debt and funding infrastructure instead of trying to disrupt the balance of power, in a few years their net debt will 20-22 trillion and possibly a economic collapse along with civil unrest (with all those guns around maintaining order will soon turn into free-for-all). Looks like the Capitalist paradise, the land of milk and honey will turn into a river of blood.
  9. Alexander Mercouris

Alexander Mercouris Ship Secretary (11th class)

I gather Obama's meeting during the G20 summit with Russian human rights activists went off badly, with only 9 attending and Obama getting an earful from Chirikova on the subject of Syria and Snowden.

This explains of course why this meeting has been so little reported in the west.
    In a way it is a great pity. As Patrick Armstrong has written, it is extraordinary the way the west always personalises Russia around Putin and says "Putin" when it should say "Russia". If even traditionally pro American human rights and opposition activists like Chirikova support Russian policy on Syria and Snowden then it is clear the Russian government has the solid support of Russian society for the stand it's taking. I think that is an important fact that it would benefit people in the west to know.
  10. Vostok

Vostok Gubernial Secretary (12th class)

Will be an interesting read
    [​IMG]
  11. Patrick Armstrong

12. Patrick Armstrong

[​IMG]

Amusing but again we see the personalisation of everything -- Syria was Putin vs Obama, Putin humbled/saved Obama. etc etc.
    The fact is that, without Putin's idea, we might today be banging away in support of these guys http://moonbattery.com/?p=36534
  13. Patrick Armstrong

AKarlin likes this.
  14. Carlo

Carlo Ship Secretary (11th class)

I am not so sure. The same article you send points out the true nature of the admiration some Americans have for Putin: "Others more cheekily admire Putin's cult of masculinity and claim relative indifference to the political stances—the anti-Americanism, the support for leaders like Bashar al-Assad, the oppression of minorities, gays, journalists, dissidents, independent-minded oligarchs—that drive most Americans mad." None of these accusations against Putin are true, and he is still losing in PR. It is just his manly image that attract conservative Americans, specially when compared to their own refined, liberal, urban, politically correct president.
  15. Patrick Armstrong

Certainly a point but what I notice -- very strong on the Syria issue -- is the disconnect between the opinion of the article writer and the readers. This comment for example. Something is happening but I'm not sure what.

TexasForever

Putin does what any real leader should do, go for what's best for his country and it's people. That's why thinking Americans admire him as a leader. In reality he has even done more for America than the current occupier of the White House by applying pressure to force our usurper to back down from several dangerous international military actions. I would trade presidents in a second.
  16. SWSpires

SWSpires Gubernial Secretary (12th class)

It's more complicated than that. If you read various alt-right sources, you will see a lot of admiration, or at least respect, for Putin. This is based on the belief that he is standing up against such "Western diseases" as liberalism and multiculturalism, and in favor of traditional values. There is a core of substance to this belief, even if one may disagree with their analysis of the situation. It's not just about image.
  17. Patrick Armstrong

They see Putin as a real leader who says what he means and stands up for his country.
    They wish they had one themselves.
  18. AKarlin

AKarlin Generalissimo Staff Member

Meanwhile, the Putin cult continues to grow and fester in the US, - even if its prevalence is exaggerated in the fevered imaginations of Establishment liberals. My hat continues to go off for Patrick who was one of the earliest people to identify this trend:

EDIT: Just realized Patrick had already posted it. My bad... *oops*
  19. SWSpires

A couple of quotes from the article:

A few even arrive at their Putin admiration through a strange brew of antipathy to everything they think President Obama stands for, a reflexive distrust of what the government and media tells them, and political beliefs that go unrepresented by either of the main American political parties

This relates to what I was saying earlier. Putin (or a certain constructed image of him) fills a void that can't be filled by any American politician in one of the mainstream parties.

[Putin's] political stances...that drive most Americans mad

Hold on there - this is the DC mentality talking. Most Americans simply don't care about Putin's political stances, or about the stances of any politician outside the US. The folks "driven mad" by Putin are members of the political class.
  20. SWSpires

And speaking of which, this blogpost is the best encapsulation of the alt-right admiration for Putin that I've yet seen:

http://mangans.blogspot.com/2013/09/admiration-for-putin.html