Putin, a Pike, and an Obsession

Discussion in 'The Media and Russia' started by Patrick Armstrong, Jul 29, 2013.

1. AlexBond

AlexBond Office Registrar (13th class)

2. Alexander Mercouris

Alexander Mercouris Ship Secretary (11th class)

I know nothing of fish and I cannot comment on the subject.

However I wonder whether Putin and his media people are right to engage in this sort of image making? I can see that at one time it did serve a purpose. Between 1975 and 1999 Russia had a succession of weak and sickly leaders (Brezhnev, Andropov, Chernenko and Yeltsin). The only leader during this period who was physically well was Gorbachev. Gorbachev's image was of a faux intellectual and "philosopher king" and we all know what that led to. I can see why in that context projecting an image of manly strength and vigour made political sense. However does it do so anymore? Does it not rather invite ridicule of the sort we are seeing over the pike (or was it a perch?) incident?
  3. Patrick Armstrong

Patrick Armstrong Commissar

4. Patrick Armstrong

(Sorry .. hist post button too soon)

It's a fact that Putin likes animals, the outdoors and so on. But it's also a fact that he takes a cameraman with him rather than just doing it quietly. So he is consciously working an image.
    You may well be right on your reason for him projecting vigour.
    But, I still wonder (and the man does have a sense of humour and even one of playfulness -- remember Blueberry Hill?) whether he does these things just to amuse himself with the reactions (in which case Latynina must have given him the best laugh).
  5. Moscow Exile

Moscow Exile Ship Secretary (11th class)

More Putin obsession indicated here by this "story" in today's Moscow Times, which rag purports to be a newspaper:

Kiev Man Finds Dog That 'Looks Like Putin'

[​IMG]

I'm sure if one looks hard enough, one can find a dog - or many other animals for that matter - that "looks" like anyone that one chooses:

[​IMG]
    Last edited: Sep 19, 2013
  6. owenpolley

owenpolley Gubernial Secretary (12th class)

This is just another one of the quirky / daft stories which newspaper websites all over the world are using to drive traffic. Nothing more or less than that. It's a model the Moscow Times has taken to with aplomb and it seems to be working well.
  7. Patrick Armstrong

Oh dear! the poor dog and its owner are now going to be arrested for insulting Dictator Putin.
    But the good news is that McCain will have another crime to add to the charge sheet.
    "In your country, which I love more than you do, it is a state crime to be a dog that looks like Putin."
    Philip Owen likes this.