Patriotic songs

Discussion in 'Samovar Teahouse' started by Ombrageux, May 12, 2013.

1. Ombrageux

Ombrageux Commissar

Various patriotic songs I enjoy listening to on occasion.

Rock Anthem (Lubeh, Russia):

Are there actually any other national anthems that sound totally badass when rockified?

A Nation Once Again (The Dubliners, Ireland):

Great antidote to euro-news.

Bella Ciao (Manu Chao, Italy):

Semi-Spanish version by Franco-Spanish singer.

La chanson du départ (France):

Old revolutionary and imperial war song.

Vive Henri IV (France):

Very jocular song of the old monarchy.

Got any good ones?
  2. Moscow Exile

Moscow Exile Ship Secretary (11th class)

I really like this pop version of the Russian national anthem by Anita Tsoi. The photographs in the clip are good too:

And though not strictly patriotic (it's about whiling one's time away strolling along the avenue and kissing the girls), this old song, "Along Piterskaya" (Вдоль по Питерской [Vdol' po Piterskoi]- Piterskaya being a popular name for Tverskaya St. in Moscow because it was the main route out of the city towards St. Petersburg), sung by Ekaterina Savinova, I really love, not least because Savinova greatly resembles my 12-year-old elder daughter, who also has a fantastic voice and is being seriously urged to take up a singing career:

And having adopted Moscow as my home, Oleg Gazmanov's "Moskva!" is a favourite "local patriotic" song of mine:

Finally, the March of the Preobrazhensky Regiment, which was disbanded in 1917 and at long last resurrected this year:

AlexBond likes this.
  3. Ombrageux

Ombrageux Commissar

Savinova's voice is so deep! Jars a bit with her girlie look in that clip. Tsoy's pop version is a mellow twist.