Patent output in Russia

Discussion in 'Science & Technology in Russia' started by Nikita, Oct 2, 2013.

1. Nikita

Nikita Office Registrar (13th class)

http://www.wipo.int/ipstats/en/statistics/country_profile/countries/ru.html

Russian patent statistics have not really improved or worsened over Putin's presidency. Medvedev's presidency has seemed to be more talk and less actual change. However, since Putin has returned, there seems more meaningful laws being put into place:

http://techcrunch.com/2012/12/10/ru...th-new-ip-reforms-will-it-kickstart-startups/

I these few laws are going to have a positive impact on Russian patent output, but I am not sure about the extent of it.

I am also not sure whether or not to expect meaningful change in the short term. I guess we will just have to wait and see.

What are you opinions?
  2. Philip Owen

Philip Owen Office Registrar (13th class)

Russian patents were not very good. They were often awarded for work already done elsewhere. They were "author's certificates". I don't know the latest changes but a lot needed to be done to make them reliable assets for investors and to conform to WPO standards.
  3. NukeCEO

NukeCEO Citizen

A lot of Western patent offices are quite lenient; the most famous example of a patent being granted to a false inventor at the moment is a group which claimed he invented sending "news releases" through email in the last few years, and then made millions until the fourth company decided to file against them. Only small businesses really fight patent lawsuits because larger businesses don't want to bother with lawsuits (favoring settlements), so it's quite popular for patents to be granted and then abused against companies that might not even be in violation.

That said, Russia isn't so lenient on abuse, and when you combine that with the lack of major R&D (outside of IT, where Russia is increasingly used for what would be highest-cost programming staff in the West), it's quite easy to anticipate a low patent output. (In fact, I'm pretty sure "obvious" patents aren't restricted nearly as much in the USA as in Russia, but they're pretty comparable in Europe.)
  4. PCO VolgaTrader

PCO VolgaTrader Collegiate Registrar (14th class)

As NukeCEO says, in the US, the attitude to dealing with obviousness seems to be "fix it in court". The US long ago ran out of patent examiners in growth technologies. Russia patents don't count for much commercially because there are few fields in which Russia is exposed to leading edge problems. Technically the Russian economy is in catch up mode.