"Liberal fascists" and the "быдло" (bydlo)

Discussion in 'Russian Politics' started by Moscow Exile, May 10, 2013.

1. Moscow Exile

Moscow Exile Ship Secretary (11th class)

Liberal fascists showed their true colours on Tverskaya yesterday, as reported today by Mosckovsky Komsomolets, when they paraded down Moscow's main drag with a huge banner stretching across the width of the street. On the banner was written: "Death to the Kremlin Occupiers!"

The MK report reads:

"Twelve people with a huge banner blocked Tverskaya, lit flares and tried to march along the main street. On a black banner was written in huge letters 'Death to the Kremlin Occupiers'. The protesters were detained. Among them were such social activists as Gennady Stroganov, Alexei Nikitin, Vladimir Michuryn, Oleg Prudnikov, Maxim Vinyarski, Emile Teriokhin.

" 'Today we have in power in Russia invaders, only not Germans but home-grown Kremlin ones' says a statement circulated by the participants in the action and published by grani.ru. 'Putin has managed to do what Hitler failed in doing: Russia has really become a colony. People have already been deprived of all conceivable rights and transformed into an obedient frightened herd.'

At the Abai Kunanbayev statue were detained 18 people who had gathered at Chistye Prudy, to mark the anniversary of the mass protest sit-ins across the Russian capital.

This brings to mind a previous campaign of direct action that took place in Moscow on Red Square on March 18, when 14 activists unfurled a banner with the words 'Go Fuck Yourself With Your Registration' and chanted 'Where We Live Is None Of Your Fucking Business', 'Putin Should Be Executed', 'Down With The Power Of The KGB' and 'This Is Our Country'. That action lasted for a total of 8 minutes before the last of its participants was arrested. The public prosecution office later opened a criminal case over this action under the criminal code article "hooliganism" (part 2 of article 213). NEWSru.com reports that earlier the same activists held on Red Square a series of actions for the release of political prisoners."

This will not go down well with the "bydlo", as these "activists" no doubt consider the vast majority of Russian citizens, for Victory Day is an extremely emotional one in which veterans of the Great Patriotic War are held in reverence and such actions as those described above will no doubt be held by the vast majority of Russian citizens to be very disrespectful towards yesterday's special significance.

This line "heads will roll when we come to power" seems very popular amongst Russian "liberals": Navalny is especially rather fond of making similar utterances.

So was Hitler and chums when he and his party was just an insignificant collection of provincial scumbags, hence the term "liberal fascists".

And to hell with Godwin's spurious "law".
  2. AKarlin

AKarlin Generalissimo Staff Member

On any other day I would have been lenient with them, but as it is, I really hope they get the book thrown at them for this.
    Alexander Mercouris likes this.
  3. AKarlin

BTW, those provocateurs have been given 10-12 days of prison. Quite a proportionate and fitting punishment IMO, though as per usual, I'm more of a fan of public works for such offenses.
  4. Alexander Mercouris

Alexander Mercouris Ship Secretary (11th class)

I notice that Kudrin is once again accusing the government of responsibility for what he calls the country's "economic stagnation".

http://www.itar-tass.com/en/c142/743139.html

One obvious counter to Kudrin's latest demarche is that if the problems in the economy are as deep seated as he says then the person responsible is ultimately himself. After all it is not so long ago that he was Finance Minister and Deputy Prime Minister in overall charge of the economy.

It is also the case that as always with Kudrin he seems a lot better at making stern pronouncements rather than offering concrete proposals. This was very obvious in his exchange with Putin in the television marathon when he had nothing substantive to say.

Putting aside these points and whether the economy really is experiencing "stagnation" (an absurd concept) what I find most interesting about Kudrin's latest remarks is the profoundly anti democratic mindset they reveal.

So far as I can tell, what Kudrin wants is to cut back heavily on social spending, which he considers "leftist" and "populist". It is not clear what he proposes to do with the money that would be saved. Does he think it should be directly invested in the economy by the government (in which case he is simply a Soviet style central planner) or (as I suspect) does he just want to hoard it whilst perhaps using some of it to cut corporate taxes (income taxes are so low there would be little point in cutting them further)? Either way the effect of such a ferocious squeeze on living standards would be to increase inequality whilst causing a collapse in demand when it is demand that is keeping the economy afloat.

More interestingly, Kudrin complains that the parliament is dominated by "leftist" thinking and that there are no countervailing liberal or right wing voices (it is interesting how he conflates the two) in the parliament to support his policies. Given the nature of these policies it is not difficult to see why. What people anywhere would vote to make themselves poor?

Anyway the point that Kudrin does not seem to grasp is that at the end of the day if Russia is a democracy then it is the Russian people who must make the choice. If they freely elect what Kudrin considers a "leftist" parliament that supports "populist" social spending then in a democracy that is their right. To insist that instead they vote for right wing or liberal politicians who support savage austerity policies that there is no need for when they don't want to is not democratic but its opposite.

In truth Kudrin's talk of "populism" and "leftism" shows his own elitist arrogance and the low regard he has for the Russian people. I suspect that what Kudrin really wants is a sort of ultra right wing, technocratic, authoritarian, Pinochet type, fascist government that forces on the Russian people the sort of rigid Austrian school economic policies Kudrin considers "responsible" and which he seems to have fallen in love with.

Once again I find myself wondering who in Russia the real democrats are?
    AKarlin likes this.
  5. AKarlin

Dear Alex,

I think that Kudrin is rather overrated too. He is the sort of person who knows the price of everything and the value of nothing. In particular, I recall him once arguing against anti-tobacco policies on the basis that it would be financially harmful. Ah, here it is. Actually, I'm not even sure he knows prices either, consider the additional healthcare costs.