Is it worth for Russia to keep North Caucasus?

Discussion in 'Russian Politics' started by Jussi, May 10, 2013.

1. Joshua

Joshua Collegiate Registrar (14th class)

I'm not saying relinquish the land but to build a wall for security purposes (limit the movements of terrorists) and keep the republics
  2. Philip Owen

Philip Owen Office Registrar (13th class)

It works in Israel?
  3. Joshua

terrorist attacks went down by 90% when they built the wall on the west bank i think you could consider that a success
  4. Philip Owen

Philip Owen Office Registrar (13th class)

A military solution is never a success. Short of genocide.
  5. MarkPavelovich

MarkPavelovich Commissar

It also cut the Palestinians off from most of their water and arable land, and followed an arbitrary line which isolated villages from one another to ensure they knew they were not a nation, but a collection of distant outposts on even their own land. The wall was an abomination. Killing every Palestinian man, woman and child in their beds, like the vermin the Israelis believe them to be, would bring a 100% reduction in attacks. Would that be a roaring success?

"We shall reduce the Arab population to a community of woodcutters and waiters."

Uri Lubrani, Special Adviser on Arab Affairs to Prime Minister David ben Gurion, 1960
    Carlo likes this.
  6. Joshua

Your twisting my words, all i was saying was that wall around the NC would be a good idea since it would limit the mobilization/activities of terrorists and facts are facts, terrorists factions like al-fatah were stopped from blowing up busses full of school children (Arab and Jew alike), if it was your children you'd do everything in your power to stop people from trying to kill them. I'm not saying i'm a fan of Israel or the IDF for that matter, i'm not, it was only an example that proves the point of why we should have a wall around the NC to stop Doku and his merry band from killing our children.
  7. MarkPavelovich

MarkPavelovich Commissar

I apologize if I have offended you, but I do not believe a wall like the Israeli Separation Barrier is a defensible option, as it would likely be accused of all the same violations of international law; using the guise of security to annex territory, cutting off inhabitants from their water supplies and sometimes common facilities such as medical care, arbitrarily disinheriting individuals who legally own land that would now be outside the barrier, and destruction of businesses and homes that would lie in the path of the wall. In its current planned route, the wall annexes almost 10% of the West Bank to Israel.

The EU is opposed to the barrier and considers it to be illegal "to the extent it is built on Palestinian land". The International Red Cross declares it to be a violation of the Geneva Conventions. In October 2003 a UN Resolution to declare the barrier illegal where it deviates from the Green Line was vetoed by the United States. The International Court of Justice declared the barrier to be a violation of the Geneva Conventions. In 2004, the UN General assembly accepted Resolution ES 10/15, condemning the barrier; 150 countries voted for the resolution, 10 abstained. Only 6 countries voted against; Israel, the United States, Australia, Micronesia, the Marshall Islands and Palau. The United States and Israel rejected both the verdict and the resolution.

Consider that this action was by a country who has a protective big brother which controls most of the world's English-speaking media. What would be the reaction if it were to be Russia building such a wall? Russia has no such protector, but instead has to fight a daily battle against the slander and enthusiastic lying of the English-speaking media, which would be full of stories of poor Chechen farmers robbed of their lands, lovers separated by the wall, children who could no longer go to school because their school lay outside the unforgiving wall. Even if it scrupulously respected established borders, it would be a non-starter. Also, while it would keep the Caucasians in, it would keep Russian security forces out, and policing the place would necessitate passing through checkpoints which could easily be monitored and provide a great deal of advance warning to militant groups.

Russia must not only keep the Caucasus, it must integrate the Caucasus and make them feel part of Russia while respecting their individual cultures to the extent it is possible. Nobody says that will be easy, but the alternative is constant violence and unrest on the Russian border, likely stoked and exacerbated by the west. If Russia let the Caucasus go, a near-identical situation would persist as what prevails now, while Russia's ability to directly address the situation would have been surrendered and it would have to get the approval of the international community in order to intervene - which probably would be cheerfully denied or held up as long as possible.
    Carlo likes this.