Episode 10. Who Organised the Famine in the USSR in 1932-1933?

Discussion in 'Russian History' started by Kolokol, Jan 31, 2014.

1. Kolokol

Kolokol Office Registrar (13th class)

2. Hero of Crappy Town

Hero of Crappy Town Collegiate Registrar (14th class)

I'll read the story more closely later. But this is a very interesting website, can you tell us more about it?
  3. Hero of Crappy Town

Hero of Crappy Town Collegiate Registrar (14th class)

Well the narrative where Stalin one day decides there should be a few million Ukrainians in the world and sets out to organize a famine to accomplish that is obviously idiotic drivel. So kudos on recognizing that.

Also this tidbit of information, that there was a gold blockade and that the western countries refused other raw materials the USSR was willing to export besides grain is a very interesting piece of information. I would have to consult Wheatcroft's series on the industrialization in the USSR to see if that is all true. If it is it could be another significant piece of the puzzle and another contributing factor for the disaster.

However, even if it holds up under scrutiny I do not think that is anywhere near sufficient for the conclusion the famine was "carefully organized" by the West. That kind of high-pitched accusation is not much different from the original hysterical and unrealistic accusation that in 1932 Stalin set out to organize a genocide and kill people for the sake of it.
    Kolokol likes this.
  4. Kolokol

I don't know much about the website, I found it on Facebook and followed it.
  5. Kolokol

I tend to agree with you, that the author has probably jumped to a conclusion that's a bit too far. but if the gold info is true it certainly adds an interesting dimension.

6. José Moreira

José Moreira High Commissar Staff Member

Kolokol likes this.