Colours of Russia

Discussion in 'Russian Culture' started by Patrick Armstrong, Jul 25, 2013.

1. Patrick Armstrong

Patrick Armstrong Commissar

It's a bit old but still relevant.

http://www.coloursofrussia.com/

BTW my wife has a connection to the Turkish Embassy here in Ottawa and it has a very lively cultural/hosting activity. For example it hosted a showing of this

in its full version.

The Russian Embassy, on the other hand, doesn't bother to do anything like this that I know of.
    So, as to counter-propaganda I suggest that it host a showing on Colours of Russia.
    If it needs a clue on how to do it, check with the Turkish Embassy.

Otherwise the anti-Russia effort will win.
  2. MarkPavelovich

MarkPavelovich Commissar

I've said many times that Russia does image-management -internationally, at least - the way the Democrats do in the USA; tentative, expecting to be ridiculed and immediately dissuaded from further effort when exactly that happens.

Have you watched the Russian New Year's celebrations crowd on TV? That's the group they need doing image-management for Russia; Alla Pugacheva's ex Filipp Kirkorov and the performers on that celebratory show. It's plain that everybody is having a great time, everyone looks fantastic (nobody moping around in a sweatsuit with a bottle of popskull vodka) and the whole production is so slick and professional. It's so easy for westerners to imagine Russians are dour, grubby and bereft of hope, much as the British were during the Blitz, because half the fun of being a westerner - apparently, for many - is smirking over how good you have it compared to those poor, living-hand-to-mouth Russians. You can't tell westerners that Moscow is a world-class, glittering strumpet of a city, because they've had years and decades of imagining it as an endless landscape of grey boxes polluted with factory smoke. If you told them, "Hey, if you want to go to a restaurant in Moscow where a hamburger costs $75.00, I bet I could find one", they'd fall over.
  3. Patrick Armstrong

Patrick Armstrong Commissar

When I was at our Emb in Moscow, I used to ask first time visitors what really surprised them about Moscow -- invariably the answer was something like how normal it looked. And that was in 93-96!
  4. Moscow Exile

Moscow Exile Ship Secretary (11th class)

My sister paid her first visit to me and my family here in Moscow in 1999. "Gobsmacked" is the colloquialism from my neck of the woods that best describes her reaction to Moscow. I well remember her saying, "You have real shops here!"

She'd clearly had implanted in her mind images of the Soviet GUM. And when I took her to the ancient church where my first child was baptized into the Russian Orthodox faith and one Sunday to the cathedral in our neighbouring Novospasski monastery, she said, "So it was all lies they told us at school!"

What they told her was certainly not quite the truth, in any case, for my sister attended a Roman Catholic convent school, where the devout sisters had told her that you were sent to prison if you went to church in the Evil Empire and that priests were executed there.

That Sunday service in 1999, which so overawed my sister, was packed with the local faithful, and the church right facing my house is never less than half full on Sundays and feast days as well.