Bradley Manning to be sentenced today

Discussion in 'International Politics' started by AKarlin, Jul 30, 2013.

1. AKarlin

AKarlin Generalissimo Staff Member

And he looks pretty screwed, even though he was found innocent of the aiding the enemy charge

[​IMG]

It might surprise some, but I don't actually support Manning.

Don't get me wrong, I do think he's a very conscientious person, much more so than the parade of blowhards who are demanding to see him and Assange and Snowden hang. But his situation is untenable. What he did is quite simply illegal and vastly so, and virtually no major government on earth would refrain from prosecuting him for it.
  2. Robert

Robert Collegiate Registrar (14th class)

If you betray your government to protect your country from a government that is abusing its power then you are a patriot not a traitor. Obviously Uncle Sam won't see it that way but I hope many of the America people will.
  3. Law Prof.

Law Prof. Dead Soul

Civil disobedience has a long and proud history.

The point is when one decides to make a statement one must accept the consequences. Gandhi, Mandela, King, even Snowden.

Do not expect him to be considered a patriot.
  4. AKarlin

AKarlin Generalissimo Staff Member

I have always found this outlook to be... well, strange.

In what way is the information value of a leak devalued by the subsequent actions of the leaker? Why, precisely, is someone like Snowden obligated to humor the demands of those who have risked nothing themselves? Many of whom would only latch to some other perceived failing of Snowden's even if he were to go back?

I have seen many left/liberal types on Twitter who say that they are "disappointed" with Obama, and yet they call Snowden a defector and a traitor for going to Russia (that is, one of the very few countries that can withstand US extradition requests). They say if he was genuine, that if he had the "courage of his convictions," he would have returned home to "face the music."

I happen to believe those people are useless leeches, demanding something for nothing while sitting on their asses complaining and doing nothing and cursing out those who, like Snowden, toss a nugget or two their way. They are basically ingrates, and infinitely more contemptible than either Snowden or the government (which is, after all, just doing the job it's supposed to do).

They deserve everything that they complain about.
  5. Robert

Apparently Ellsberg who leaked the Pentagon Papers and stayed in the US to face prosecution and eventual acquittal by the Supreme Court has said that these days he'd do what Snowden did and flee the country. The USA is not the same country as it was thirty years ago.

People like Assange, Manning and Snowden are a vital safeguard against the Big Brother state and should be applauded.

As for US liberals with honourable exceptions most of them are in denial about Obama and refuse to recognise that his attacks on civil liberties are every bit as egregious as anything Bush did. Can Obama give himself the power to assassinate US citizens and slaughter more civilians with drone attacks than Bush? Yes he can!
  6. Robert

Chris Hedges on how the Obama administration's attacks on civil liberties are worse than those of Bush

Not a fan of Alex Jones but that doesn't detract from what Hedges says.
  7. MarkPavelovich

MarkPavelovich Commissar

I agree Manning's case is different from that of Snowden, who is a civilian. Manning was a member of the uniformed services, and as such the principled action is to refuse to obey orders which you find to be in violation of service ethics. Granted, he did not participate directly in most or perhaps all of the disclosed events. I do, nonetheless find it puzzling that gay rights groups have not stepped forward with the default complaint that Manning is being persecuted because he is gay. Not that I expect it would have gone anywhere, but ordinarily that would be the reaction and you can guarantee it would be if the situation were unfolding in Russia.

However, as someone pointed out on my blog, at least two of the large gay-rights advocacy groups are backed by the military-industrial complex.

http://marknesop.wordpress.com/2013...ollars-have-you-any-rupelyuans/#comment-36383