Best foreign Russia journalist

Discussion in 'The Media and Russia' started by Moscow Exile, May 8, 2013.

1. Moscow Exile

Moscow Exile Ship Secretary (11th class)

In the British press, I think the Independent's Mary Dejevsky tries hard to give a balanced appraisal of events in Russia. Her output of Russian stories has noticeably decreased of late.
  2. AKarlin

AKarlin Generalissimo Staff Member

I agree, Mary Dejevsky is an excellent journalist.

Who else?... Ben Aris, surely.

As with the worst journalists thread, what do you think of inserting a poll here?
  3. Moscow Exile

Moscow Exile Ship Secretary (11th class)

Yes, I think that would be an interesting exercise. I should also be interested in finding out the degree of russophobia in the non-anglophone media. I don't read the German press much these days, but I should imagine that there are far fewer journalists to be found there, if indeed any, that exhibit such manic russophobia as do Harding and Lucas. I think that there are, however, similar russophobes in the French media. (I often wonder why the notorious Kimmie Zigfeld, or whatever, uses French as her nom de plume.) I remember how one French journal did a big shock-horror feature on the Bolotnaya rally of May 6 last year, having as its centre piece a photograph showing an OMON officer in full rig bundling off a young woman protester. A few seconds before that photograph was taken, another photo-journalist had taken one of her while she was lobbing a chunk of asphalt at a cop. I wonder what a French Garde r├ępublicaine would have done in a similar situation? Well, I don't wonder, in fact; I know: I've witnessed Paris's finest in action.
  4. Alexa M

Alexa M Dead Soul

Ellen Barry of The New York Times is very good.